+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Spare key to your house?

Okay, I've had my mind blown because I found out that it's apparently a thing to give out a spare key to your house. DH and I are the only ones with keys to our house, in the past when we've gone on vacation, we give my set of keys (which has an alarm fob on it to turn the alarm off so they don't get given the code to that, either) to whoever was coming to feed the cats while we're away. We get those back on our return, obviously and nobody has a key on a regular basis.

So, does anyone have a spare key to your house? If so, why did you choose to give it to them and for what purpose has it been used? Has anyone had someone misuse their spare key? Finally, are we really the only ones who are uptight enough to not want people to have unsupervised access to out house on a regular basis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No one has a spare to ours.

We have no need or reason to give one out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum has one because I have the memory of a goldfish and often leave my keys in on of our cars (DF always drives). She only lives a street away so she can lock/unlock the door for me lol.

she never uses it to just pop over or anything like that. I have a key to her house too but I'm there often.
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 05-01-2014 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother has a key to my house and I have a key to hers. I use it if I want to drop something off for her while she's at work, if she wanted me to check in on something at her place while she's not at home, same in reverse. I find it very handy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I don't see a reason this would be a common thing unless the resident had a medical condition or was elderly in case of a fall/collapse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our cleaner has a key to our house and that's it. I'm not comfortable with others having a key to my home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum has a key to my house because she often picks up the kids from daycare/school for me or looks after them if they're sick so I can go to work. It's an absolute must for her to have it. I've also got a key to her house.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sil has a spare for our house, and we have a spare for hers. It's mostly in case one of us locks ourselves out, we can use the spare to get back in. If sil is away we let ourselves in to feed her cats. She only used ours once when we were away and she was borrowing our car. She's not a nosey Parker and neither are we, I trust her with them so I don't have a problem with it at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have keys to my brothers house. My brother and my MIL had keys to our old place , haven't given them new ones. I think we gave them keys when we went on hols and never asked for them back. It was handy when we got home from hospital after DS was born, they beat us home and stocked the fridge and freezer! (Had been in hospital over a week) never been abused though. The only time I felt strange about it is when we were Overseas and MIL was looking for cutlery or something in our house. She opened the wrong draw and saw an overdue rates notice (it had been paid by this point) and she freaked out and paid it for us!! Kind if a nice surprise though I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just about everyone has keys to ours !
    Mum
    Dad
    Brother
    Sister
    2x SIL
    Best friend

Plus I have a hidden key that everyone knows about and one kept at the office

We are the only ones with a pool so everyone knows they can use it plus mum looks after DS 2 days a week and goes between here and her place also whenever we go away various members house sit or feed the dog so it's just easier for everyone to have a key!

Does not worry me in the slightest