+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Visitation/Rights with Newborn

Hi

Long story short I think I will end up a single parent before my bub is due. Can anyone advise me what happens in regard to a newborn baby.

Do I have to put the baby under my married name? Or as I will apply for a divorce can I use my maiden name for bubs surname with/without dad's permission?

Can I be ordered not to breastfeed?My older kids were breastfed dh daughter was not, I intend to bf this bub.

What access would generally be given for a newborn?

I have a lot of other questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whatever name you put on the birth certificate is what the child will be known by. If your ex isn't present when you are filling out the paperwork I don't see how he can control what you put on there.
    In regards to breast feeding he can't stop you. Not unless he's physically there every single time.
    I hope you get through this tough time and get the opportunity to enjoy this new little person you are bringing into the world. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I be ordered thru family law court to not breastfeed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly doubt it. I've never heard of it happening. But I wouldn't know. (To me that would be a bizarre request unless you were a known drug user or something)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should clarify that the reason I ask that is because obviously me breast feeding would impact on him having bub for an extended period of time.

From day 1 dh has been very pushy that I should express so I don't need to be with bub all the time ( as he hates his job & has visions of staying at home while I work but it won't be happening as he's already told me this baby won't be allowed to be a sook & won't pick it up when it cries, nor can he sleep in our bedroom )

Thanks
    Reviews
    With a friend of mine sleepovers didn't start with dad until his first birthday. I'm sure even if you are separated the family law court won't force you to formula feed so visitation can happen. There's no reason dad can visit inbetween feeds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    Can I be ordered thru family law court to not breastfeed?
    No. The family courts rule on what is in the best interest of the child- being bf is in your baby's best interest. A father is unlikely to be given extended access visits with a bf newborn- usually if the dad wants it it will be regular visits that get longer as the child gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'd fall into normal circumstances, I think I'll make an appointment with a lawyer. As time goes on his ideas on raising a male child get stranger & I have concerns for the baby's welfare if he's left alone with his father.

It feels really bad to write that😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you could be potentially going through this OP. I would get some legal advice about all your concerns and questions re the surname.

Nobody can order you to stop breast feeding in normal circumstances.

Visitation is normally short frequent visits with mum present as that's what is usually best for a small child.

Hope you are ok xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    I should clarify that the reason I ask that is because obviously me breast feeding would impact on him having bub for an extended period of time.

From day 1 dh has been very pushy that I should express so I don't need to be with bub all the time ( as he hates his job & has visions of staying at home while I work but it won't be happening as he's already told me this baby won't be allowed to be a sook & won't pick it up when it cries, nor can he sleep in our bedroom )
    I would be pretty concerned about what you have written in the last paragraph as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (06-01-2014)