+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Low Blood Pressure During Pregnancy - any cures??

I am struggling to deal with extremely low blood pressure during my pregnancy. I am almost 17 weeks pregnant & I have been experiencing dizziness, shaking, faintness & collapsing.

My husband is too scared to let me go out alone & I struggle some days just to get anything around the house done. My biggest fear is that I will collapse when I'm home alone & cause possible harm to our baby.

I just wondered if there were any natural remedies or medications anyone has tried to help with raising blood pressure? My Ob has said it should return to normal once I've had our baby but it's in the meantime I'm worried about.

I have tried keeping a sugary drink on hand, increasing fruits & vegetables as well as drinking more water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go to the hospital would be my 1st advice. I also have jelly beans on hand. Have you tried sitting with your feet elevated. But I would go hospital. I would of prob rang am ambulance if I was feeling that bad. Your pregnant so you should get prioty. Hope you feel better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    My gp suggested I drink powerade/Gatorade drinks when I was pregnant with my first, because of my low blood pressure. It does work and when ever I start feeling dizzy or faint, I drink some and it goes away.
    I was also concerned with passing out when home alone (ESP. When I had young children too) and the only thing the gp could suggest for that was to have ppl call me regularly through the day, so that if I had passed out, it wouldn't be hours before it was discovered.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is,nothing that can really be done. I get low blood pressure. Extra salt in your diet. Keeping up your fluids and lots of rest.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    My gp suggested I drink powerade/Gatorade drinks when I was pregnant with my first, because of my low blood pressure. It does work and when ever I start feeling dizzy or faint, I drink some and it goes away.
    I was also concerned with passing out when home alone (ESP. When I had young children too) and the only thing the gp could suggest for that was to have ppl call me regularly through the day, so that if I had passed out, it wouldn't be hours before it was discovered.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I usually grab one and end up drinking it when I'm out & feeling dizzy. So embarrassing that sometimes at the checkout I have to bob down guzzle a drink but it's the only thing that stops the fainting.

Did your blood pressure get worse or improve during pregnancy? I was hoping not to be housebound for the whole time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Low BP tends to be at it's worst in 2nd trimester. I can't emphasize maxing out on fluids. I was never good at drinking water but I needed to drink a lot during pregnancy. And now I'm b'feeding I need to drink even more, so it's good I got used to increased fluid intake in pregnancy.
    Also when rising from lying to standing, take it slow, sit on the edge of the bed first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor told me to eat more salt, I would eat something salty whenever I felt it was getting low and it seemed to work. He also said that it was like an inverted bell curve over the course of the pregnancy, hitting it's lowest point at around 20 weeks then rising a bit from there, this was the case for me except for after birth when it went lower again for a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read replies but increase your salt intake! Helped me greatly!! It's a horrible feeling also keep fluids right up and always take your time standing and avoid sudden movements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as everyone else said..

I had low blood pressure all through both pregnancies, it was awful! I have naturally lowish blood pressure, so pregnancy makes it worse. I lived on orange Gatorade, it does help. Just sip it constantly all through the day, I'd have at least two 600mL bottles and at least a litre of water every day.

I fainted at the physio, at work, at home, you name it! So embarrassing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, it's a really weird feeling
    Nothing you can really do but sit/lay down as soon as you start feeling a bit funny, I also started keeping my yellow pregnancy card in my handbag so if I collapsed at the shops people would know I'm pregnant, (I'm almost 33 weeks now, so there's no mistaking it now!)