+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Severe Migraines :(

I've suffered with migraines since I was 8 years old and I feel like I've tried everything. Since getting pregnant tho I have been getting horrible ones that come every 2weeks and last for 5 days at a time. Nothing seems to take the edge off them My ob has given me panadeine forte and maxalon to take but even that does nothing for them. He told me to also have a red bull energy drink at the start for a shot of caffeine because I don't drink coffee but I'm too scared too with all the warnings about them. I see a chiro regularly, get my husband to try and massage my neck and pressure points in hands/temples, I'm sleeping in the air con and using ice packs but it doesn't help and I'm just laying here in agony. Does anyone have any other advice or tips anything that I could try to make this go away because it's a crap start to my weekend I'm so desperate at this point. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't emphasize the importance of you taking 2 Panadol every 4 hrs throughout the day until you get the maximum 8 tablets daily of Panadol, which is safe and may just make the pain manageable. I'm not saying it will make you painfree, but at least it is a safe baseline pain relieving strategy.

Please be cautious re: Panadeine forte. While it can help headache, people may get a rebound headache with codeine use. Obviously do not use Panadol if you are taking Panadeine Forte.

Also a litre of fluid at the onset of migraine will help reduce the intensity - take the Maxalon about 20 mins before having a lot of fluid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've also suffered from migraines since I was little (11 years old) so I know how you feel. I find caffeine really does help. Have you tried a glass of coke if you don't want to drink red bull?
    Some other stuff that works for me is drinking heaps of water as I know for me being dehydrated is one of the things that brings them on.
    Also massage (as if my neck is sore I'll also get one)
    I also read an article the other day that said some people swear by eating some salt at the first onset of a migraine will help stop it. Haven't tried that theory yet but will give it a go the next time.
    For me when I get one I take pain meds at the first sign of a migraine (when my eyes start to flash) as it tends to take the edge off the headache the earlier I get to it. I'll also drink some coke and if I can stomach it eat something fatty. It's always seemed to work for me (doesn't get rid of it but makes me feel much more human) and I thought it was the fat content & caffeine but now I'm thinking maybe it's the salt??? Then I grab a big bottle, fill it with water and sip as much as I can and try to get sleep if I can.
    I've also read recently that coconut oil can help with the prevention of migraines. Again, haven't tried it yet, just a theory.
    I hope something helps, migraines suck! I was lucky, for some reason my pregnancy hormones kicked in and I didn't have one until the last trimester where they came back with a vengeance!
    Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much everything I do has been covered but I find the migra stick from the chemist actually helps too.

It's got lavender in it and it's really soothing. I rub it on my temples and it helps me immensely.

The other thing I do is take Panadol and neurofen. My GP told me to take the neurofen as well because it's an anti inflammatory and acts differently to the Panadol.

Not sure whether you can take neurofen when pregnant though????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No to nurofen while pregnant Princess.

OP - watch those trigger points in your hand. If it's the one between thumb and forefinger then there is a supposed risk of miscarriage.

I got my migraines really bad about 8 wks. Nearly 22w now and in think they have eased in their intensity.
    Unfortunately you are don't everything I try so I have no new tips for you
    I second the caffeine hit and I occasionally do have redbull because I dislike coffee and it works better than coke. I'm not going to claim to be an expert but the occasional half can of redbull is not going to harm bubba. There are certainly worse things you could do. I think the warnings exist because there are idiots who drink multiple cans a day consistently which is obviously not good for you!

Instead of holding icepacks on my head I buy these sticky patches from Priceline that cool on contact with skin called "migraine kool n soothe". Easier to handle than an icepack imo.
    Last edited by nirok; 04-01-2014 at 09:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your replies.
    I have been keeping up with the regular paracetamol and always start with that before I move into a dose of codeine based painkillers. I work in pharmacy too so I'm quite aware of the side effects so I try and take it only in desperation.
    Robyn I so envy you not getting migraines while pregnant I was hoping for that but alas wasn't the case Coke doesn't have enough caffeine in it to really do anything sadly. I was sick this morning from being so nauseous so I ended up giving in and getting a red bull and my gosh it was disgusting I've never had an energy drink but it actually has helped along with another dose of painkillers.
    Nirok is right no neurofen during pregnancy in fact no drugs from the NSAIDS family are allowed. My husband took me to hospital about 8weeks ago with one that was so bad I couldn't even speak and I was just shaking and they tried to give me asprin Glad the supervisor stepped in otherwise I would of made a scene refusing to take it. I figured what's a can of redbull if it helps me otherwise I would be in pain for days and the stress from that puts my blood pressure up and that's gotta be worse for bub then a hit of caffeine. Ha I actually have a friend who is one of those idiots she easily has close to a dozen cans of energy drink a day!!!
    I do actually have a migrastick but I've lost it so think it's time for a new one!!I was even rubbing deep heat into my temples yesterday after my nan told me about it but after a few doses i ended up with some red blotchy patches where it burnt me
    coconut oil sounds interesting I may have to investigate this. I fear tho that it's just from all the hormones and whether regular things would do much but hey doesn't hurt to try. I even was rubbing limes on my head the other week after my dad read a story about them helping lol

Thanks again so much and anyone else tho with ideas please share still

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulou789 For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    My fiancée use to have migraines almost daily after an operation she had. Not exactly the same situation as you but one day we decided to try physio. We spoke to the physio about the migraines and since her first treatment she hasn't had a single episode. She still gets neck pain and headaches but they are getting better and better. I use to give her rubs but they never seemed to help. Anything is worth a try when you are suffering. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I should mention that before physio she had no neck pain or any indication that it was anything like that causing it. It's strange how the body works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you had an eye check? Narrow angle glaucoma can cause migraines and pregnancy can cause changes in blood pressure which may affect this as well?? Just a thought as I'm an optician and have seen this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do have neck problems as I've been in several bad car accidents but I've been seeing a chiro my whole life and I saw a Physio for a couple of years which did help to a certain degree. I then switched to a new chiro 18months ago and started getting remedial massage too which did help but I still suffered at least 2 or 3 migraines a week and pregnancy has made them worse pain wise as no drugs even take the edge off these days.
    I do get my eyes checked regularly (every 2years) and I have glasses it's been a year since my last check up.