+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    I was told by the lactation consultant ( and have read multiple times online) that you shouldn't let a newborn sleep for longer that 4hrs without a waking them for a feed....
    If bub's healthy and putting on weight then I'd say let her sleep. 10pm to 7am sounds like a very long sleep for a little bub but aren't they all different?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    If she is formula fed then its not so much of a problem.

that is a really long sleep for a small baby though, so just make sure that she is happy and content with it.

I have to say though, my DD used to do something similar (from around 12-14 weeks though) ... have a good lot of cluster feeds from 4.30-7.30 then a really long sleep.

In any case, little babies often have a period of time during the day where they are more unsettled ... just cuddle her and nurse her through it as best you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wally your bub looks like she's worked out circadian rhythm well. Still as PP have said, it may all change, and change again.
    I think if bub is happy in the day and growing, keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just go with the flow, she is happy to stay and play then that's what I would do. If she's feeding fine and sleeping well at other times relax and enjoy her when she is happy to play.

With my 4th daughter I was put through 18 months of hell from the child health nurse and a lactation consultant because my girl wouldn't sleep for to long and she feed frequently through the night but was only on the 10th percentile. She was happy, healthy and hitting all her development milestones on time if not early. She was crawling by 6months and walking at 11 months. I was constantly told she is a perfect case of failure to thrive and I must not be feeding her right along with other stuff.

We ended up being sent to the royal children's hospital paediatrician, with one look he told me to stop stressing and relax because there was nothing wrong with my child she was just petite. We had to have 3 appointment 3 months apart as that is the protocol and was given clearance that my baby was in perfect health. She is now 33 months old and still only weighs about 11kgs but was 3.8kg when born. I regularly visit the dr for check up but there is nothing wrong with her.

Basically what I'm trying to say is trust your judgement, if she seems fine then don't worry, if some doesn't quite seem right get her checked out by someone you trust. I had 18months of stress because someone told me something must be wrong when I honestly didn't think there was a problem. Not all professions think the same and some advice is better than others, as long as thing progress nicely don't stress the small stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little 5 and half week old dd will sleep 6-7 hrs and not wake for a feed at night she is BF i asked the midwives and they said that if she's getting plenty of feeds during the day, and has lots of wet and dirty nappies and gaining weight well then not too worry, and she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and has had really good weight gains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't care what some so called professionals say it is almost impossible to wake a baby to feed it when all they want to do is sleep. If they are hungry they will wake. I have tried this wake to feed stuff with many babies I have had in my care and it is just a waste of time for you and disturbing for them when you could both be getting some much needed sleep. If bub is awake from 5.30pm for a couple of hours I'd just let her be, entertain/cuddle where needed. Being awake is not going to do her any harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS used to do that. He was a fantastic sleeper too (formula fed) and I think I only woke him once of twice for a feed, then after that I quickly realised he would wake up when he was hungry! He started sleeping from 7:30-7 again after a small period where he had a bit of a 'witching hour'.