+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Short cervix

I'm just over 16 weeks and had an ultrasound today to check on my cervix, routine since I was treated for CIN 3 (pre cervical cancer) a couple of years ago.
    My cervical length (CL) was 26-27mm, the cut off for being 'high-risk' is 25mm so I was told all was fine and we'll check again at the morph scan. I was just so relieved that bub still has a heartbeat and was generally healthy, I didn't really think about the CL until after we'd left.
    But 26mm at only 16 weeks totally doesn't sound fine!

And after some googling (of course) I'm now totally freaked out (of course again ).
    So if anyone has positive stories about this sort of thing where everything turned out fine that would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I discovered I had a short cervix at my 24 week scan ( I had fibroids so had scans every 4 weeks to check their growth) it was 25mm and funnelling , I was sent straight to the hospital for steroid shots and was put on mild bed rest ( no exercise or standing for long periods) and had to use progesterone pessaries - I was petrified ( this is when I discovered bubhub )

I had weekly scans until 32 weeks ( stopped the pessaries ) my cervix never got shorter and I had an elective c section at 38.5 weeks ( due to fibroids ) and had a healthy 3 kg DS

My advice is try to stay calm, listen to your Drs and odds are you will be fine , there are many positive stories on here, the good news is they are watching it and will work out a plan for you ( if needed) keep us informed and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

deku  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elijah's Mum, that's pretty great that it didn't get shorter after that!

Mine seems to be losing about 1mm/week (based on 12 and 16 weeks, that's enough data points to fit a linear trend! ) so I was surprised they didn't take the rate of change into account as well even if the current size was ok.

Any more short/incompetent cervix stories with good outcomes anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's changing length already I would be asking for weekly scans at least- so much can change between now and 20 week morph scan. I'm sorry if you only want positive stories- i cant give you one, it was too late for me, i never made it to my morph scan- but I would rather you worry than not have a good outcome xox

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody1982 For This Useful Post:

deku  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1982 View Post
    If it's changing length already I would be asking for weekly scans at least- so much can change between now and 20 week morph scan. I'm sorry if you only want positive stories- i cant give you one, it was too late for me, i never made it to my morph scan- but I would rather you worry than not have a good outcome xox
    Thanks for your honesty! And sorry for your loss
    I'll call the midwives today to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be asking questions, do you or can you see or speak to an ob? I have a short cervix due to a cone biopsy & I now have a stitch each pregnancy as a preventative measure. My stitches have been successful (I've lost 2 babies but it was unrelated). The earlier the stitch is placed the better the outcome. At the very least I would want regular scans to monitor the cervix.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

deku  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    I would be asking questions, do you or can you see or speak to an ob? I have a short cervix due to a cone biopsy & I now have a stitch each pregnancy as a preventative measure. My stitches have been successful (I've lost 2 babies but it was unrelated). The earlier the stitch is placed the better the outcome. At the very least I would want regular scans to monitor the cervix.
    Thanks, it's good to hear that the stitches have been successful, it looks like this will be a recurrent problem for me too so this might be an option next time.
    I heard they don't like to do this first time but rather wait until there's actually been a late loss. Seems a bit rough

I don't see an OB, just my GP so far (shared care but haven't seen the midwives yet!). I don't know how I would get in to see an OB short of an emergency. I was thinking I'll request a referral to a private ultrasound place so should be able to get checked out within the week.

Thanks all for your replies. DP isn't much help with these concerns, he's more "if there's nothing you can do then there's no point worrying!", as if there's an off button for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your gp should be able to give you a referral to the high risk team at your hospital where an ob would review you. Make sure they mark it urgent and try to get in this week xo if you can't I would just show up to emergency and say you know your cervix was shortening and you feel crampy and unwell and try to have an ob review you that way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody1982 For This Useful Post:

deku  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told a few months ago (pre-pregnancy) that I have a short cervix - is this likely to be an issue?? The US tech didn't say *how* short or anything (so very helpful). Can you have a naturally short cervix and be fine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuitfeatures View Post
    I was told a few months ago (pre-pregnancy) that I have a short cervix - is this likely to be an issue?? The US tech didn't say *how* short or anything (so very helpful). Can you have a naturally short cervix and be fine?
    Yes you can - my OB said that as my pregnancy was fine it could just be that's how my cervix was but it's still better to keep an eye on it just in case