+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Manual or electric breast pump???

I'm due to give birth soon and had an awful time breastfeeding my first son due to low milk supply. Anyway, i'm determined to give it another go! I'm looking into breast pumps and am totally confused by whats out there! I hand expressed (with no success) last time so am eager to look into pumps this time. Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medella double pump to boost your supply or medella swing if that isn't needed. Both electric. I have the swing and you can use it with batteries for on the go. Bit expensive but worth it, a manual pump would be a nightmare - and I think that even though I have the fastest let down and oversupply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id definitely go electric. Medea swing is great. I had a manual at first and have a large supply and it took a good 25 mins to get a full bottle. I also needed both hands and had to lean forward. With the electric you only need one hand and you can sit straight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an Avent manual when breast feeding my three girls, but with DS (who is ff) I used a Medela while he was in special care and if I'd been able to continue b'feeding (cant due to medication), I would have bought a Medela electric without a doubt. They are seriously awesome, but expensive.

I recommend to look around at rates for hiring a Medela. The ABA has them, some hospitals hire them out and so do a number of chemists. Most require a bond, but you do get it back. Im pretty sure the big discount chemist (Chemist Warehouse I think) has several different brands for hire, so you can always try them out. But definitely try hiring if your not sure as that way youre not out heaps of $$ if you dont like it. And if you do like it but not the cost, Im always coming across the Medela Swings on gumtree for under $100 and you will probably get most of that back if you eventually sell it on.

Oh, and I agree to that the Medela is by far the most comfy and easiest pump to use, and would be perfect for increasing supply. Your hospital may have them there to use too after you give birth.

Goodluck with it all, I hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an automatic pump Avent and love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an avent automatic until it died one morning recently so am borrowing a friends medela swing. With the avent it took me 30 mins to get 120ml max out of the other side during morning feed. I had to massage and squeeze my boob to get the milk out when the let down was over. Soon as I used the medela swing I have gotten 160-170ml in 10 mins with no massage needed. The avent was noisy and the medela although I don't think sounds worse DH does as you hear the suction and the milk drops louder as it is doing the job faster. I have only used batteries with the medela as we don't have a power point near our bed and Have used 4 in 8 weeks from one pump per day. Factoring in cost i feel you get value for money with the medela. All the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kate1990 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I wouldn't fork out the money unless you end up needing one.

I'm currently using a unimom double allegro ($135) for home, a pigeon manual for when I'm out and a medela symphony at the hospital. They're all good, except the manual adds 10 minutes and takes effort. I looked into hiring the symphony but by the time I bought the kit and paid 1 week hire fee, it was the same as buying the unimom and it's just as good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be waiting to see if you need it! I bought a closer to nature one and while it has been great to try and stimulate my nipples, I probably don't need it.

If you get one, I would be going electric. It means you have a hand free if you need to do something else while expressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you plan on renting one from the chemist if you need it? Then if you need one long term buy one. I bought a Medela swing on the way home from the hospital but only used it 6 weeks (turns out I didn't make much milk so we switched to formula after that).