+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond everybody.

It started early afternoon today so not sure that it's just colic.

I'm really struggling emotionally. Can't stop crying & feel sick to my stomach. Is this temporary - baby blues, or a sign of PND? How did you cope?
    This early out its probably just baby blues. I cried for no reason at all, just let it come out don't fight it, it's a great way to relieve stress. Do you have a paediatrician? If so maybe make an appointment to see them before the usual six week check up. Maybe it could be reflux or colic And they may offer some help or just reassurance if it's nothing but newborn settling issues.

Good luck, be kind to yourself and take all the help you can get

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read something about the importance of burping after feeds and it really made sense to me. Burping roughly every 3 to 5 min or so during feeding and making sure you get a burp before feeding some more. If you don't get a burp, small bubble of air forms in tummy, then the next feed, if you don't get a burp, the bubble grows and so on, so at the end of the day you have a big bubble of air, less room for food so a hungry bub with a sore tummy, this all combining to an unhappy baby at the end if the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read something about the importance of burping after feeds and it really made sense to me. Burping roughly every 3 to 5 min or so during feeding and making sure you get a burp before feeding some more. If you don't get a burp, small bubble of air forms in tummy, then the next feed, if you don't get a burp, the bubble grows and so on, so at the end of the day you have a big bubble of air, less room for food, so a hungry bub with a sore tummy, this all combining to an unhappy baby at the end if the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    JungleMum, it is normal to feel so emotionally down. I still have days like that, but I remember feeling so nervous leaving the hospital with bub thinking - what have I got myself into? It does get better. If after the 2 week mark you are not turning the corner, please see your GP.

Look it's very hard to hear bub cry, but at the same time remember babies have no other communication. Make sure they have a clean diaper, are not hungry, are burped or just upright, and if that's all good, just cuddle up. Sometimes you just can't stop the crying, but hold them so they can feel you're there.
    You're doing a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How are you feeling today OP?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD did this for a few night and then I just started letting her feed as often as she wanted. She was a big night time cluster feeder, and it went on for about 6 weeks and then just tapered off and I found I could make dinner .....and eat dinner again.

Hope you are feeling ok OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found putting ds in a close carrier (we used the hug a bub ) and walking around the block helped immensely. Normally as soon as I started walking he'd stop crying, but even if he didn't it was much easier to deal with outside for some reason.

Also the crying etc can be normal for some mums but not for others, are you still under the care of your midwife? You could always talk to them and see what they think, otherwise a gp. They should be sable to help you with the difference between baby blues and depression and also let your partner know what to look out for.

It gets easier! Xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    One more thing JungleMum - in that newborn stage you don't get much or any interaction from bub, so that lack of response can be difficult. But as they get older and more responsive, it makes the job easier (even if you're still waking up heaps overnight etc). I was not one of those immediate strong bond mums, I had very little bond in that first 2 weeks. It's slowly slowly developing over time.

My baby is very hard to put down into her cot at her bedtime, it can take hours, just a few days ago I only managed to get her down at midnight! So when she's being fussy and fighting sleep, but then finds the time to laugh at you from her bassinet while you're pulling your hair out - you can't help but laugh yourself. Mine became a lot more responsive at 8 weeks - it's not long now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD was that age, she did the same thing between 5 and 11pm. After a lot of reading, I found that research shows that 80% of babies cry constantly in the evenings. it peaks at 6-7 weeks and typically stops completely by 12-14 weeks.

I see others have given you some great tips, but if you find that nothing works, don't beat yourself up. This is completely normal behaviour and if you can just hang on for dear life for the next 3 months, things will get a lot easier.

Start a countdown to 3 months old on your calendar and watch your progress. You will make it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Been meaning to pop in to say thank you for all of your responses. It made a big difference when we were in the thick of it. Thankfully it eased at about the 3 week mark. And I very much feel bonded now, so it was just the baby blues, but I also think listening to your baby cry is a very difficult thing to adjust to. Thanks again for all of your advice.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-01-2014),Piyamj  (28-01-2014),Twocam  (02-02-2014)