+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7 day old, inconsolable in evenings?

Just wondering if anyone has advice for my newborn whom wont settle in the evenings all of a sudden? We've spent the last two nights with a crying baby from 5-11pm. Its a strange cry, goes up at the end, obviously a distress cry not just whingey. We are inexperienced new parents but have tried feeding, rocking, swinging, patting, bath, tree hold etc. Nothing works. We rang the hospital who told us that baby probably had a tummy ache?

Is it colic?
    Reflux/Silent reflux?
    Or the witching hour?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JungleMum

We have had the same thing with our 2 week old he's a dream baby except between the hrs of 6-11 we have found extra feeding and also using some infants friend from the chemist as he gets more wind in the evening (not sure why the evening) and he can't get it up. The last few nights he's pretty much fed every our and a half from 6 then settles for a 4 hr stretch from 11-3 and I think that the infants friend has done wonders. Our child health nurse also said he could just be adjusting his night and day routine and is just crying for the sake of it :-/
    Fingers crossed things improve for both of us
    Last edited by Lolly83; 03-01-2014 at 00:42. Reason: Stupid iPad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your NB. I found that mine would also be fussy for hours on end in the first 6 weeks as she severely had her days/nights mixed. It's tough because their body is sending them the message to cluster feed to build mums supply, I'm sure they'd want to sleep too.

Find one settling technique and stick to it perhaps rather than changing techniques as I find that can be too stimulating for baby.

Ultimately you might have to lie back, snuggle newborn onto your chest so they can hear your heartbeat and have a play with your phone/read a mag with your free hand until they settle. Or same snuggle onto your chest but stand and sway slowly. There's so many settling techniques, just see what your baby likes and stick with it!

I have just been in the position you were, I'm a completely inexperienced FTM too and I found those first 2 weeks really tough. Then a few days during the 6 week growth spurt were also rough. But you manage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dd had a few night where she was inconsolable (not every night so I really feel for you), and everyone called it the Arsenic hour. Could have wind or something though. We found putting her in the bath worked really well. I would sit in the bath with her and hold her and feed her until she went to sleep. I found that was great and calmed her down really quick.

Hope you find an answer soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have a baby carrier, get your partner to take baby out for a walk. (after feed/clean nappy etc).

it can help to give you a little break and the fresh air, warmth and movement often helps baby to settle. headphones are optional for the person wearing baby.

we never found one solution, we had a few different tricks that we would rotate though and eventually baby would settle.

take care of yourself too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also downloaded an app yesterday on my iPhone called baby white noise. I had to take a last minute trip to begin bay last night and when my dd started crying 5 mins into the trip I put that on and she slept the entire way down. Worked like a charm!

Try some sort of white noise...even a vacuum if you don't have an app.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second Wally. I also use white noise but in the form of a fan in the room. It's on for all naps/sleeps and helps block out other noises that can startle bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond everybody.

It started early afternoon today so not sure that it's just colic.

I'm really struggling emotionally. Can't stop crying & feel sick to my stomach. Is this temporary - baby blues, or a sign of PND? How did you cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bub was like that, I dreaded the evenings, absolutely dreaded them. The worse thing is they can't tell you what's wrong and it drives your crazy trying to find that magic 'thing'

Can you and you partner tag team each other, so you rest and go somewhere where you can't hear and then swap or alternate the evenings with him? At least you are both getting a break.

It's early days, your hormones would be crazy right now, combined with stress and tiredness it's not surprising you are feeling fragile, little babies can be a hard slog, so cut yourself some slack.

Huge hugs it does get better xxxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jungle mum, it's normal to be upset when your baby is distressed and nothing seems to make it better...
    Just take a deep breath and really look at your baby and his/her behavior, sometimes they're not hungry but want the breast to soothe (my 10 week old seems very keen on that atm) try different positions on their tummy soothes a tummy ache upright soothes reflux laying down slowly massaging legs up and down like a bicycle motion help get wind out, also make sure you're not in a room with too much stimulation like the tv or too much brightness.
    Does cuddling up to you help? Does baby stop crying? It's normal for a baby that young to want to be ON (I mean on you!) all the time...
    But really the most important thing is to take a deep breath... Babies really pick up on your vibe!!