+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast Pump recommendations?

Hi,

My baby is 7 weeks old and feeding well, however my breasts are often engorged (very hard). It usually softens when I massage during feeding, but often comes back before she is ready to feed again. I'm considering buying a breast pump to help. I'll have to get one anyway seen as I'll be back at uni in March for a couple of days a week when my Mum will be doing some baby sitting.

I've been advised to get the electric ones (that do both breasts) as the manual ones take far too long, but they are very expensive. If we are going to spend the money, I want to make sure we get a good one. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a spectra pump which I would highly recommend. Way better than the medela one I had previously. Maybe check out some reviews online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of people love Medela Swing but I hates it. I got loads more out of an avent one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a spectra pump too and it's very good (and was a decent price)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the closer to nature manual, it was pretty crap but I have been using the avent one the last couple of weeks and love it. I have no problem using a manual pump, once I get a let down it doesn't take long at all.

Just a tip though, pumping might make your engorgement worst because your body will think that you need more milk for bub and might actually start making more milk instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a medela swing and I don't like it. I haven't used anything else though (except in the hospital) and so cannot recommend an alternative. Next time, I will consider renting a hospital grade one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm currently using a unimom double allegro at home and a pigeon manual when out (as well as the medela symphony at the hospital) and they're both really good. I can get as much out with the manual, but it does add an extra 10 minutes compared to using the double electric and, obviously, takes effort. The unimom was only $135 and arrived within 2 working days.

What ever you decide, make sure it's a closed system pump.