+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! 5 month old suddenly screaming!

Hi there,
    Over the past few days/nights, my bub has started screaming EVERY time we put him down for a sleep. He screams the house down, it's quite distressing sometimes. It's not emotional crying, just a loud screaming cry/whinge. He used to go down easily and self settle but now he just wants to be rocked to sleep and really fights it. He's on a routine, starts the day at the same time, feeds the same time, baths at the same time, bed etc. His bedtime routine consists of; a bath followed by baby massage, 10 - 15mins of cuddles/ quiet time. Then it's into his sleeping bag, white noise turned on, fan on low, if it's nightime he has a breastfeed, then he's put back into his cot with a small comforter. During the day he has a dummy and sometimes he needs it during the night. Then we just say goodnight, give him a kiss and out we go.

Now he screams as soon as he is put down and it takes a really long time to calm him! We'll pick him up for a cuddle after we've finished the sleep routine and wait for him to calm down before placed back into the cot, we've barely got time to reach the door before he starts screaming again. We've tried to do a 'screaming routine' where hubby and I both do the exact same thing each time he screams but to be honest we don't really know what we're doing. What we do; After 3mins we go in and say "mummy's here (or daddy), time to go to sleep. Night night", we then pat and shoosh until he calms. Once he's calm we go back out and the whole thing starts again. If he's really worked up or emotionally crying I give him a cuddle. It usually takes an 30mins to an hr. It may not sound like a long time but when he's screaming and it happens every sleep time it's really draining and seems like it lasts forever! What is happening?! Are we doing something wrong? I don't know where to go from here and how to make it better. Please help!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he teething? Or maybe hes in the middle of a wonder week 'leap'? (key developmental stage - the wonder weeks app is great)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely take a look at the wonder weeks app or google wonder weeks as your bubs is coming into one, it's so helpful to know what's going on & when to expect these periods, has been spot on for my bubs. We just went through what you are going through & all we could do was just sway to sleep with humming or shhing, you're doing everything right, just stay calm & although he will fight it just rock to sleep, it's the quickest way, it didn't last all that long for us & I hope it's the same for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wonder weeks app is great!

Here's a couple of screen shots for you on the signs.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1388622220.619376.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1388622231.586928.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much! That's exactly what's happening! I'll download the app now. I thought I was doing something wrong so it's reassuring to know it's normal behaviour. So you do you think I should just rock him to sleep until he's past it? So many people talk about bad sleep associations, it's confusing!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would rock him till he is past it as he will go back to how he was, you'll know in the first sec of putting him down. Bubs seem to need more comforting during these times & are a little more clingy & fussy. My bubs went back to happily going off to sleep on his own after each wonder leap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agreed. don't worry about bad sleeping association, do whatever it takes to make your little guy comfortable.
    He'll get back to his normal self soon I promise!!

My baby does the same when he is teething. As soon as the tooth break the gum he goes back to his beautiful self settling self.