+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddlers climbing dangerously

Help! 16 month old DS is sending me bonkers! He will not stop climbing up on the back of the couch. I have corrected him about a million times this morning already and I seem to be making no difference at all to his drive to get up there. If anything he seems to be getting more and more driven!

It's an open plan living area so the couch is not backed up to a wall. There is just a hard timber floor below if he falls, which he inevitably will because he's so head-heavy.

I've tried silently putting him on the floor, I've tried distracting, I've yelled and tapped him on the hand as he reaches over, but nothing is working. He just grins and rushes back to resume climbing. Does anyone have a tactic that works on kids this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine just stopped doing it I stopped making a big deal about it and he did it a few more times and he stopped .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try taking him to a jungle gym park and help him climb there. So he learns there is a "special" place to climb.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

debsch  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Teach him how to get down safely and if you have one put a fold out lounge behind yours in case he does fall.

DS2 is only 11 months but climbs everything and the only thing we did that worked was helping him learn how to do it safely. He climbs on our lounge then goes off the side which is a drop for him so he goes legs first and holds on until he slowly drops to the floor. He knows how to get off our bed which is higher as well.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 2 climbers my youngest only 12months and follows everything his 2yo brother days. He is so little but best I can do is teach him how to do it safely it's what i did with the 2yo. That way if I see him doing it and he is in a scary position I say safely and they turn around and put their feet back toward the floor and slide off. They are straight back up but at least it stops him jumping or falling off head first.

Try to relax as much as u can about it and accept some kids just get broken bones etc. from the couch will come the kitchen table, the book shelf it's limitless. I am shocked at what my 2yo manages to climb.

Do urself a favour though because u do have a climber go around and secure all ur furniture to the walls. We did and it gave us piece of mind to know that he might fall and break an arm but at least he the furniture won't fall on top of him causing severe injuries.

Good luck climbers certainly bring out the grey hairs

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BubbleGuppy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-01-2014),debsch  (02-01-2014),mkj  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter's 15 months, and to be honest I haven't thought of stopping her. Thankfully she figured out how to get down safely on her own, although it can still be scary if she's in precarious positions.

If you really don't want him climbing there, all I can think of is blocking off the couch in some way...larger furniture/play pen/anything else that might stop his access. Also as someone else suggested, a specific climbing frame which you make a big deal out of - it MIGHT seem like more fun than the couch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bigger deal I made of i, the more he would do it. I just kept a keen eye and ignored it mainly as I felt he was really doing it for attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    honestly, id just let hi do it. Put some cushions on the floor at the back of the couch and let him go nuts. The only way hes going to learn that its not safe is to fall and hurt himself. If you put some cushions or a blow up mattress on the floor so he doesnt do any real damage he should be fine.

My boy is a climber and i just made sure is fav spots to climb were soft on our hard floors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yr old is a climber and honestly you just need to let them do it. Ive been given a heart attack by his climbing more times than I can count and he's already had a fractured elbow & 2 chipped teeth. But in saying that the more I tried to stop him the more he climbed so I'm slowly learning to relax & try to remember what the doctor/dentist told us "boys will be boys, they climb, they fall they get hurt but then they learn"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stolen For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    Maybe try taking him to a jungle gym park and help him climb there. So he learns there is a "special" place to climb.
    This! Say to him, while you remove him from the couch, "we can climb at the park but not on the couch". And also, be firm but not dramatic, I think the drama (I can be a drama queen myself) is entertaining for them and doesn't help get the message across.

OR what another PP said - teach him how to get down safely if possible... this is daring from the back of the couch but perhaps you could show him how to swing his legs around on the top of it and go down the back of it feet first?

I did that the day our bub figured out how to climb on to the couch, I showed him a few times how to get down "bum first". Whenever he was looking over the edge of the couch seat I would tap his bum and say "bum first" then swing him around and help him down. After a few times he was doing it himself. (I used the word bum because back then I wasn't sure if he understood "feet".)

Good luck!
    Last edited by debsch; 02-01-2014 at 10:47.