+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnancy and shift work

Hi ladies
    Im planning on telling my bosses im pregnant in about 2 weeks. Just waiting for the nt scan etc.
    Im curious for those of you who work shift work etc, how long could you work for before you had to go on leave.
    I work in manufacturing. A steel plant!
    I do 12 hour day and night shifts.
    I think one of the first questions they will ask is how long ill work for..
    This place is hugely male dominated, to the point where I dont think they have had a pregnant lady here before so I imagine it will make them quite nervous.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Xx

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I was pregnant with my first, I also worked in a very male dominated industry, I was a stevedore on the wharf. The guys were actually really sweet, lots of them were Dads, and one guys wife was due the same time as me, so none of that was an issue to be honest.
    I worked up until 4 weeks before birth, I was driving trucks a lot, and it got quite bumpy over the concrete/ashphalt about 7 1/2 months, so I had to be placed on restricted duties, out of the trucks, also interestingly enough, the strength in my hands diminished a fair bit due to the hormone relaxin which helps to soften ligaments etc, which made things a bit hard, due to the highly physical nature of the job at times (lashing containers onto ships with heavy steel bars etc) but the workplace was generally very accomadating and supportive.

If I were you, I'd probably say that you'd like to work for however long (whatever your preference is) in the pregnancy, but you may need to play it by ear a little, depending on how the pregnancy goes, you never really know how your body is going to cope, you may sail through no problems, or they may need to give you light duties etc. They cannot force you out because of pregnancy, they must give you light duties if necessary if there are light duties to be had.

All the best
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 02-01-2014 at 06:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi NewMrs I also work in a male dominated workplace and do 12 hour roster, I'm in mining. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and don't plan on telling the hierarchy for as long as I can. I will tell my supervisor after 12 weeks so if I want to change the type of daily job I get given he can do that for me.

We recently had a pregnant girl at our work. And how she did it was she told them I think after 20 weeks and she saw the oh and s people who did up a 'return to work plan' for her. She wasn't allowed to do certain high impact jobs and the heavy lifting she had to have help with. They were quite good to her and said whenever she didn't feel comfortable doing night shift she could swap the shifts so she was still following the roaster but only doing the day works. She finished up when she had around 6 weeks left to her due date and used up sickies for that time.

I'm hoping they will do the same thing for me.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh the other thing I forgot was that the workplace asked me to visit their doctor at regular intervals and be signed off by him to say I was still fit for work, there were never any issues, it was more for their paperwork I guess, and covering their butts if I had any problems at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I work in the oil industry working 12hr day/night shifts. I consulted our OHS department about duties I could and couldn't do and also talked to our medical centre.

First pregnancy I started heavy bleeding at 14 weeks and took sick leave for a month, then I got a medical certificate from my ob to say no shift work and returned on day work. At my work you can stop shift work at 24 weeks and still keep your shift penalties. I worked half desk half bench work until 38 weeks.

Second pregnancy I stayed on shift till just over 38 weeks. Both times I had my CS a week after finishing work. It was hard, I struggled. But I find day work harder, more managers around to time your breaks!

Be honest with your work mates about things you're not comfortable doing. You feel like a whiner but its not worth the risks. Just **** them off for 9 months and make them do things you're not comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im only 9 1/2 weeks - i work a 14/7 roster starting at 5.30am each morning. I have alot of morning sickness at the moment and i am finding it hard to hide it - seen as i am green from the moment i step on the bus till about 10.30 every morning. I have told my supervisor as i do Fly in fly out work i need an extra week off on my next break so i can get my 12 week scan done. AFter that i intend to tell the hr, oh&s and work colleagues. early mornings are the worst for me and any kind of travelling - so the travelling on Fly in Fly out days can be anything from 7 - 10 hours which is what i am struggling with. Also the remoteness out here frightens me as yes there is a paramedic but no hospital for up to 2 hrs. so im abit put off at the moment. My intention is to work as long as i can but might have to relocate back to the city.

Anyone else on FIFO work finding the same issues ??