+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Arm yourself with as much info as you can. Educate yourself on what issues you might face and think about what you might do if faced with them. Don't worry about what point you should stop trying. You may have a very smooth bf journey, you may not. Take each day as it comes. Some great resources are the kellymom website and the Dr Jack Newman website.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (04-01-2014),Bubbles10  (04-01-2014),M'LadyEm  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Arm yourself with as much info as you can. Educate yourself on what issues you might face and think about what you might do if faced with them. Don't worry about what point you should stop trying. You may have a very smooth bf journey, you may not. Take each day as it comes. Some great resources are the kellymom website and the Dr Jack Newman website.
    Yes! I forgot about Dr Jack Newman. We have used his website before as a resource at work. If I'm not mistaken there are videos as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmakin View Post
    For a TT diagnosis I trusted I would see an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) -much more study than a LC - or a dentist who regularly revises TT.

My son had an undiagnosed PTT and ULT for 10 months and we saw a lot of drs. We are breastfeeding at 28 months.
    Emmakin did you have trouble feeding for 10 mths before the diagnosis? Thanks for the tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to give up after two weeks because of the pain but l saw a lactation consultant and we are still breast feeding at 22 months!! If it hurts get help.. It is a skill that you learn - you and your baby!! Don't go into it scared, be positive and educate yourself as much as possible.. Watch other mums feed too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had no issues with BFing in terms of cracked nipples, bleeding, etc and both of my bubs just attached and drank milk. Simple really. My SIL had dreadful trouble with cracked nipples, nipple thrush, etc and I thought I'd have the same issues, so I was glad I didn't.

My ds (#1 child) was taking 1 hour/feed and wanting to feed almost constantly day & night though. I found it draining but as it wasn't painful as such, just draining of my energy & time I set myself targets for BFing. Initially my goal was 6 weeks and then when I survived that I set the goal for 6 months. By the time I got to 6 months I couldn't imagine stopping any time soon, so I set my goal for 12 months and that's when I stopped as I was returning to full time work.

With dd (#2 child) BFing was pretty uneventful again. She was a super quick feeder (5 mins/feed) from day 1, so there was remotely no trigger to stop BFing. I returned to work when she was 5 months old and she got EBM when I worked (part-time). I was worried about getting pregnant (AF returned at 7 months PP) and I had terrible PMS so I went on the Pill when dd was 14 months old and kept BFing (yes it can be done). Finally, I stopped BFing when my dd was 16 months just because I felt like it was time. There was no firm trigger for stopping, but I wasn't enjoying it as much as previously and it was making the logistics of our everyday lives a bit more tricky. Having no clear reason to stop BFing made it a little hard to accept emotionally, but within a few weeks I was ok about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take it as it comes xx try to stay away from negativity and find people supportive of your choice who will reassure you instead of telling you to go to formula. Theres some great facebook support groups around.

I wasnt sure how I would go bfing being a ftm having twins but 8 months on we are still going strong. At the start it seems like 6 months is an eternity to reach especially when yoy have a grouchy baby going through wonder weeks, teething, sleep regression, etc and waking every 30mins- hourly. You will doubt yourself. We all do. Your body is amazing though and you can do it!

Taking it one day at a time is key. Just remember bfing should NOT hurt. If it does something isnt quite right and you should see a lactation consaultant. It could be latch issues, tounge/lip ties or a number of other things. I had three horrible bouts of nipple thrush. Were talking toe curling pain. It was horrible. I started to dread feeding and was in tears every feed. It did get better though as soon as I treated it and now I know the signs of it developing.

Formula feeding may be easier initially but trust me breastfeeding is much easier once you both have it worked out (we supplemented for 5 months - a HUGE pita)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Piyami we did have trouble. DS had a shallow latch and he was a very slow gainer almost FTT, but I never had any pain so I don't think it was taken seriously

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmakin For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This is what I was going to say too. I researched and read a lot of breast feeding stories (both of successful and unsuccessful attempts) and just prepared myself for most of the common issues.
    Its been easier than I expected, staying calm and feeling prepared has really helped so far, if nothing else it's good to feel confident that I can handle any problems that arise
    As for when to quit, I quit with DD1 when it just wasn't working for us (formula feeding was great too, DD1 thrived and is a very healthy, happy little girl ).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-01-2014)