+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes Callmedragon by a GP and LC. Maybe I need to go to a paed ENT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me breastfeeding has been different each time. My first was born 10 weeks early and didn't learn to latch well after tube and bottle-feeding and a long stay in a hospital nursery. I was able to express and bottle feed him EBM for 6 months. Then I had twins and had no trouble with breastfeeding and fed them for 18 months. My baby born on 1 March last year had her first exclusively breastfed day on 30 May - it took 3 months to fix problems with her little mouth and over supply after needing to express for bottle-feeding.

I just decided to stick with it by imagining a time when there were no bottles and when babies needed to breastfeed to survive. I found this helped me when I was feeling lazy about expressing or wanting to give in to the convenience of bottles and formula. It was certainly a shock when it didn't come easily this time around, but between the info on the Kellymom website, the ABA resources and the Calma breastfeeding bottle (and the great girlfriend who suggested it would help re-train my baby to suck) it's all going fine now. I hope to breastfeed 10 month old DD until she's 18 months to 2 years.

My advice is don't be afraid, try to get heaps of 'hands on' help in the first week and if it gets tough, look for support here and keep reading about the benefits for your baby to remind yourself of your purpose.

Very best of luck!
    Last edited by Pru40; 02-01-2014 at 02:18. Reason: Forgot it's 2014!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say that it's not an all or nothing situation either with .

You can mix breastfeeding, with EBM feeding and formula feeding after that recommended first 6 weeks or so of exclusive breastfeeding and no dummies.

I was inspired to read that adopted babies can be taught to breastfeed and that mothers can re-lactate after a break in breastfeeding because of illness or injury or stopping employment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    Yes Callmedragon by a GP and LC. Maybe I need to go to a paed ENT?
    For a TT diagnosis I trusted I would see an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) -much more study than a LC - or a dentist who regularly revises TT.

My son had an undiagnosed PTT and ULT for 10 months and we saw a lot of drs. We are breastfeeding at 28 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmakin For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's one thing to sit here, feeling healthy and emotionally stable, and say when a quitting point would be. It's completely different to be sleep deprived, recovering from birth and dealing with a newborn

I only lasted 5 weeks, my main issues were oversupply (baby had awful green nappies and not putting on wweight due to foremilk/hind milk imbalance, and constant feeding. Honestly in the state of mind I'm in now, I could deal with these issues. At the time it took too much of a toll on my mental health.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

JungleMum  (02-01-2014),kw123  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went into it thinking I'd go for 6 months. During those first 6 weeks there were times when I screamed for DH to go get some formula. He didnt :-) I agree with PP's that you just take each day as it comes. I set myself mini-goals.

We're still feeding at 26 months but down to one feed a day. Not sure when we will drop that feed, but not any time soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I think it's one thing to sit here, feeling healthy and emotionally stable, and say when a quitting point would be. It's completely different to be sleep deprived, recovering from birth and dealing with a newborn
    I agree. Everyday is different depending on how much sleep you've had (or how much coffee )

The one thing I found that worked when I was having latching problems was stripping us both down and doing skin to skin. And you definitely need good support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also going to say don't think to much about it now. See how you go and when you hit your breaking point you will know. I have a few formula samples in hand for when I just can't.
    Ds2 is almost 1 and we are still having issues. But for a few months it was easy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me, I was determined to breastfeed no matter what. I have very sensitive n1pples and I'm not going to lie, it was very painful for me for 4.5 months, but I realize now that was due to me using nipple shields, they were rubbing and causing more pain than if I had just stuck it out without them for the 2 weeks (or however long they say)

Things that worked for me were:

Expressing milk if nipples were too sore
    Using hydrogel breast discs
    Lansinoh

I also didn't set up any specific time frame. I gave myself small goals, but in the back of my mind, I knew that if I reached that goal, I'd set another one, and if it still hurt at that next goal, I would just push through that again. As I said, I was very determined. I have nothing against ff or mums who ff their babies at all, but for ME, I just didn't want to give my baby formula. I always had that at the back of my mind, ff was just not an option.

Having said that, i was lucky to have enough milk supply, if I didn't then I would possibly turn to formula or donated milk (not sure which).

Try not to stress about it, there is not much you can do or decide until your baby is born. My advice would be to wait and see what happens. Set small goals (1 week, 1 month, 3 months etc)
    Chances are that after a few weeks it won't hurt anymore anyway.

If it helps, not everyone experiences pain with breastfeeding. I know a few mums who said they had no trouble at all. Yes they are the lucky ones but it does happen

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by SAgirl; 02-01-2014 at 08:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone! Just reading the responses makes me feel better.