+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default At what point would I stop trying to BF?

I am not due for a few months but already terrified of BFing. I will try but the horror stories of pain, bleeding nipples and this can go on for months!
    So my question is.... At what point do you need decide that you switch to bottle feeding? I'm going to an ABA class in a few weeks so hopefully some of my fear will go away! 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't decide. Take each day as it comes. In my opinion breastfeeding takes determination. Often problems can be sorted with advice from an IBCLC or the ABA

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmakin For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (01-01-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (05-01-2014),Renn  (02-01-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmakin View Post
    Don't decide. Take each day as it comes. In my opinion breastfeeding takes determination. Often problems can be sorted with advice from an IBCLC or the ABA
    i agree with Emmakin. No-one can prepare you for how easy or difficult you will find breastfeeding. It is also not helpful for us to regale you with stories of our own experience - either positive or negative - as this will either scare you off completely or give you a false sense that it will be easy and then find out you have the opposite. Take each day as it comes, and if you hit a bump in the road, seek advice from a breastfeeding counsellor or trusted person who has experience in the area. Most issues can be overcome with the right help, and you will feel rewarded for trying If you want to breastfeed, then the best thing you can do is to give it a go. Whatever happens after that is completely out of our control and therefore should not take your time and stress before it happens. If it goes a different way to what you expected, then just go with the flow and embrace it. The most important thing is that bubs is getting what he/she needs, and you are comfortable with your decision.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

Emmakin  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastfeeding came easily to me with this baby, which was lucky because I had a traumatic birth, if it had been harder I think I would have ff for my own mental health. I was sure I wanted to breastfeed but so knew that I needed to look after me... It took a while to get over my labour/birth.. So I wouldn't have put the pressure on myself to stick to breastfeeding had it not come easily.

That said I'm so glad I can breastfeed & if it is more difficult next time I would be more inclined to tough it out and resolve the issues because I've experienced how good it can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will know what to do when the time comes.
    Right now thinking about it will just stress you out even more.
    Take it day by day and see how you feel when you are actually experiencing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is different and for what I've been told feeding can he great with one baby and not great with another.

Just get through your pregnancy first and when you get to that stage you can make a decision. Don't stress yourself out. Take each day as it comes and if you try it and it doesn't work start FF. Do whatever works for you and your bub.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're pretty keen to breastfeed it could be worth going to group meetings with your local ABA group if you haven't been already. I never even thought to go along while pregnant and wish I did now. Lots to learn and it's great to get to know other mums and volunteers so when bub arrives help and support is at hand

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just take each day as it comes, that's my advice..I didn't have many issues at all, 2 bouts of mastitis, oversupply issues and that's about it..I've been feeding for 6 years (3 children). Maybe take an ABA course, try to make the birth as natural as possible and just flow with the go and don't be afraid to ask for help

Kellymom is a great website http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Also remember that if you do have to suppliment or switch to formula, you have not failed in anyway and it also does not mean that subsequent children wont be able to breastfeed.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (04-01-2014),amyd  (02-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that you take each day as it comes. Breastfeeding is different for everyone. I could have easily given it up after a few days but I persevered with it. I think you need to do what is best for you and baby. Good luck!