+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gynaecologist through public hospital?

Has anyone seen a gyno through a public hospital? How long was the wait and how did you find it?
    I was referred to a gyno a few months ago due to getting incredibly bad leg and butt pain that before and during AF. I had endo before I fell pregnant with my DD 4 years ago. The pain is getting worse and worse but I just can't afford the $200 for the gyno appointment. I was going to ask my GP to refer me to the public hospital but don't know if I can handle waiting months to get in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see a public gynae. First appointment took about three months, but it depends on the issue. For my first appointment it wasn't for anything urgent.
    Since then I've had appointments made within 24 hours for emergent problems, or waited another three months for an appointment.
    It really depends on the issue, any blood test and scan results that require attention. It also helps if your GP can call and make the appointment.
    Usually the gynae will read the referral and decide how quickly you need to be seen.

This is in nsw.

Eta - you'll get a mixed bag depending on where you are. When I lived in the city I saw the same gynae public ally that I would have privately, as they all worked a rotation. Here I see one of two public gynaes. Mine was pretty slack with me at first (fobbed me off with pain meds and a follow up in a month), but after five cystectomies and an oophorectomy, he listens now, and actually values my input on treatment.
    I think you have to go in there in subsequent appointments with a list of questions and possible treatments for many to listen to you.
    Last edited by SeymourTheBear; 01-01-2014 at 16:27.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a gynaecologist at the public hospital within 3 months of getting my referral. It was not a really urgent matter. Im in a regional town in Qld.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh! And call ASAP because a lot of public hospitals won't book appointments for a new year till it starts, so if you call early Jan you can get an appt sooner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I guess I may as well get the referral then, and if I get the money go see the private gyno but if I don't at least I'm closer to getting through to the public one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In SA it took me 5-6 months to get in after my GP referred me. It took another 3 months before they would operate. This was at a public hospital and was for a revision of a botched episiotomy.

Hopefully you wont have to wait as long as your pain and history sounds muchmore serious than my dodgy stitches

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was referred in September and I'm still waiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow taiyed and becca those are long waits DH thinks I should just go to the emergency department when I'm having one of my bad days where I can barely walk.....in his thinking I went for my gallbladder pain and they took it out straight away so why can't they just fix this problem. If only it was that easy for us all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Good plan ace!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see a gynae through public. Took 3 mths for initial appt. If ur in that much pain go to emergency when it's happening. Otherwise get an urgent referal sent through from ur gp then follow it up after a few days. Once ur in the system and something urgent pops up u can always speak to the clinic nurse during business hours or a the gynae registrar on call after hours.