+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default "Violent" video game for 5 year old

My 5yo DS has told me that he watches his 10yo cousin play a video game that ends in "the man dying". He does this when he is with his father, my ex. I have just spoken to my ex about it and the fact that my DS talks about death and dying a lot when he returns from his cousins. My ex doesn't think it is a problem. I feel like it is introducing my DS too soon - he has plenty of time to be introduced to more grown up video games. I'm also concerned about when my 3yo DD potentially being exposed.

I will clarify by saying I don't know how "violent" or real-looking the game is, but I just feel quite upset that my DS has seen and will continue to see them.

Am I being reasonable or over-protective (and I am open to the second option, I seriously want a general public perspective).

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would depend on what game it is. Characters 'die' in lots of games that I would consider alright for a 5 year old. Even in games like Mario etc the characters can 'die', obviously not in a violent way. When we were kids, to 'die' in a video game was just another way to say we got out, ran out of lives, etc.

I'd find out what game it was before making a big deal about it.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (02-01-2014),Jellyfishie  (02-01-2014),Lillynix  (02-01-2014),Miados2007  (01-01-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (02-01-2014),SeymourTheBear  (02-01-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (02-01-2014),~Marigold~  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I think it would depend on what game it is. Characters 'die' in lots of games that I would consider alright for a 5 year old. Even in games like Mario etc the characters can 'die', obviously not in a violent way. When we were kids, to 'die' in a video game was just another way to say we got out, ran out of lives, etc.

I'd find out what game it was before making a big deal about it.
    This exactly. My dd who's 6 plays a bubble counting game on my phone where you get "lives" its obvious you "die" to a 5/6 year old when the "lives" run out. They also play mario, and lots of other innocent games that requires the characters to "die" in non violent ways.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think your being over-protective, although I do wonder whether the "fight" is worth it, and the potential issues that may arise from it.

It definately wouldn't be something that I would want to expose my son to, but depending on your relationship with your x, I'd be weighing up whether it would be worth it to take it further.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My rule with my boys is G rated, or sometimes PG games, find out what game it is, and what the rating is, watch it, and see exactly what it is he is being exposed to.

My ex used to play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas around my boys when they were really young to my horror (I'm sure there is a scene of a prostitute being beaten up in it) and I made sure that stopped really quick!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stick to the ratings. They are there for a reason. M games are not appropriate for 6 year olds. I hope you can find out the game and get it to stop if it is a violent one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would try and find out what games your 5 year old is being exposed to. Agree with PP's that there is a huge difference between 'dying' in a game like Mario Bros and dying in a game like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty.

There are some very graphic scenes in some of these games, stuff that even I as an adult find very brutal. No way should a 5 year old be exposed to games like the two I have mentioned above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep find out what game.

There are so many games nowadays which are totally inappropriate for a 6 yr old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, the same as what everyone else said.

You need to find out what game it is before you get too upset about it. If it's a graphic and violet adult game like Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim, Assassins Creed etc then firstly, I would be concerned that 10 year old was playing them and would raise that concern as well, and then secondly, I'd be laying down the law and stating that under no circumstances is your child allowed to see those games.

My children (7, 5 and 3) are all allowed to play games on the xbox, and I am okay with some violence, so long as the games are child friendly, ie they LOVE the Lego games like star wars, batman and pirates of the caribbean and whilst people 'die' in those games and you have to 'kill' the bad guys, it's in no way graphic.