+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    $100 per couple in those circumstances.

I have given $150 - $200 to those I am closer too, depending on our financial circumstances at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with wishing wells and prefer them actually. We didnt have a wishing well for our engagement and allthough we were very appreciative of the gifts we received there was NOT ONE gift that we could use. Me & dh already lived together and had our own house, we already had everything we needed except big things like a few pieces of furniture. We had about 150 guests, about half of these gave us money which was fantasic as we were able to put it towards a lounge suite for our second living room. The other half of the guests gave us gifts that were all great and very thoughtful however we received 3 sets of knives & forks, 3 slow cookers, 2 kettles, 2 knife blocks & 1 saucepan set plus a few other odds & ends we already had. These were all worth alot and of course its the thought that counts, we were very appreciative however we already had everything listed above and good quality ones also. So we couldnt even replace old items with the new gifts. We had a spare room full of gifts we would never use. I still have some sitting unused in the garage covered in cobwebs and some I was able to exchange. These ppl went to so much effort to buy these gifts however I feel so bad as their time & money was completely wasted! After this I am all for wishing wells. I hated the fact that we have no use for any of the gifts. I would have preferred they give us nothing as I feel awful they spent good money and I havent even touched it in 4 years! We did a wishing well for our wedding and 80% of guests gave us money which was fantastic as we put it towards renovating our house. Once again the few who gave us gifts we got 2 of the same thing again that I will never use!

I think its pointless buying a couple gifts if they already live together in their own home as most ppl already have all they need! Rather than waste my time & money buying a gift I much prefer to give $$$ than spend money on a gift for someone that they wont use. Wishing wells are not rude its just a polite way of saying we already have most things. Id rather ppl come with nothing than a gift ill never use. Im grateful for their company. Its not about how much they give...

Anyway we give $150 to friends and $200 for close friends

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redflower7 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-01-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-01-2014),LouLaa  (02-01-2014)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm happy to give money. I'd rather help the couple out in buying something they need or to help them save for their honeymoon/house etc rather than buying them something they may not like.

It's hard to do guest lists for weddings so I think the fact that your invited tells you that you are important to them. DH and I put $100 as a minimum for friends and usually go upwards from there for close friends/family.

I don't think people mind how much you put in.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    Lost our little squirt 20/11/13.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (02-01-2014),LouLaa  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id rather give money to ppl as well than a gift they might not need/want. We usually put minimum $100 in or up to $200 for family/closer friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm all for wishing wells as I agree with pp , sometimes gifts are useless and I rather the person buy a gift they actually need.

I think though that sometimes the expectation to give a certain amount or the amount of the meal is a bit scummy. If a couple can't afford to have me and pay for me to have a meal then frankly just don't invite me!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Usually I try to give $100, though I think any lesser amount is perfectly acceptable.

I don't subscribe to the notion of having to cover the cost of your meal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $100 per couple but we've given more for very close friends. Just give what you can afford.

I like wishing wells as I know my contribution is going towards something they need. These days most couples already have their homes set up and don't need the traditional wedding gifts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In this day and age most people live together before getting married and accumulate a lot of things a registry used to be useful for! So there isn't such a need for household gifts like towels/vases etc...Therefore, I do understand the lean towards wishing wells, whether it be for a first mortgage, honeymoon or a beautiful piece of furniture...Give what you can afford and feel comfortable with, the bride and groom should be understanding of everyone's financial situations
    Last edited by clucky_duck; 02-01-2014 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Just to follow up I went with $100 which I thought was more than reasonable from the 2 of us. No one gave gifts as the table was empty except for their wishing well bird cage which was chockers full of envelopes.

♥him & me = ds 17/9/2013♥