+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyFortunate View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Time Out doesn't work long term, so I stopped using it. You can only put them in the corner if they are willing to stay there. If they keep leaving you have a battle of wills & you both end up angry / frustrated / yelling etc Using the playpen as a punishment area doesn't really make sense, because it's where they are supposed to play (& be happy). That sends mixed messages, and leads to more playing up.

I have gone a step back & looked at WHY they are behaving that way. Babyla, this may sound crazy but a hug might fix your hitting problem. Kids often misbehave because they are looking for attention. Whey they get attention for doing negative things, they are getting what the want - attention. BUT they don't yet know the difference between good attenion and bad attention. Try picking him up, giving him a cuddle and a quick explanation - "we don't hit because it hurts and it makes us sad. Hugs are much nicer!" Give him a kiss on the forehead and pop him back down at whatever he was doing. You might have to do it a couple of times, but better more hugs than more fights about staying in the naughty corner!

Would love to know if this works for you.
    Thank you for this, I will be trying this as of right now! I agree 100% that it is mostly due to wanting attention, it's not intended to be malicious. We haven't tried naughty anything because I just instinctively feel it won't work for him and will become an awful battle of wills. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyFortunate View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Time Out doesn't work long term, so I stopped using it. You can only put them in the corner if they are willing to stay there. If they keep leaving you have a battle of wills & you both end up angry / frustrated / yelling etc Using the playpen as a punishment area doesn't really make sense, because it's where they are supposed to play (& be happy). That sends mixed messages, and leads to more playing up.

I have gone a step back & looked at WHY they are behaving that way. Babyla, this may sound crazy but a hug might fix your hitting problem. Kids often misbehave because they are looking for attention. Whey they get attention for doing negative things, they are getting what the want - attention. BUT they don't yet know the difference between good attenion and bad attention. Try picking him up, giving him a cuddle and a quick explanation - "we don't hit because it hurts and it makes us sad. Hugs are much nicer!" Give him a kiss on the forehead and pop him back down at whatever he was doing. You might have to do it a couple of times, but better more hugs than more fights about staying in the naughty corner!

Would love to know if this works for you.
    I understand what you are saying but for my DS this strategy just ended up creating more bad behaviour and led to me being inconsistent as I would end up getting frustrated after the same behaviour was repeated 45 times a day and lose my temper . Time out works very well for us and is never a battle of wills. So each situation is different I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    I understand what you are saying but for my DS this strategy just ended up creating more bad behaviour and led to me being inconsistent as I would end up getting frustrated after the same behaviour was repeated 45 times a day and lose my temper . Time out works very well for us and is never a battle of wills. So each situation is different I guess.
    Yeah you have to be consistent with whatever it is you use. So far the naughty chair is working. He is understanding why he is there. I explain when I put him there and again after his 2 minutes then end with a hug. The ignoring bad behaviour thing has never worked for me. I still praise the good but as soon as I do it usually ends and he does something he knows is not allowed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I dont have a 2yr old anymore but when ds1 was 2 he was in time out -a lot. He is an extremely full on kid. Ds2 however was an absolute angel, even with extra needs. Now at 3.5 DS2 tests a lot more but a lot is to do with complete and utter sensory meltdowns. Every kid is different, DS1 still pushes boundries and drives me absolutely bonkers at times but he is also one of the sweetest most kind hearted souls I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. So I just take the good with the not so great.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    I agree it's about finding something that will work, really trialling and hoping something works. I just know at this age DS definitely won't follow instructions to stay anywhere but maybe when he's a bit older that might work for us.