+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Having a cold/flu during pregnancy

Good morning, just a quick questions, I have a cold of flu if you like and I'm currently pregnant, did anyone have the same thing happen to them? How did you cope? Would it be harming baby? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember with DS when I was pregnant, around 20 weeks I got a terrible chest infection/cold and all I could do was rest and it didn't do any harm. Go to your doctor and have a chat if you're concerned. You can't take any cold and flu medications either, which makes it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I was 38 weeks pregnant with DD and copped a terrible flu with temp above 39, and laryngitis.

Apart from being really horrible to me, DD wasn't affected. I was assured by the prenatal nurse, and the doctor that the flu would not harm my baby.

But as PP said, if you have any concerns about it or just want to know what you can or cant take, see your GP.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your temperature is the main thing to worry about. If it's high keep it down with panadol first or panadeine (makes you constipated).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much, I've just had a lemon soup and hopefully that will kick it away. It's just sneezing and runny nose. I'm not hot. Just concerned for baby. Thank you once again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you have a cold, not the flu. I would just rest so you don't infect others (potential to reinfect yourself) and take Panadol as needed.
    If you had the flu you would have a high temp/sore body and would hardly be able to stay awake. Plenty of fluids and rest is the best thing but keep an eye on temperature. You may get sore from coughing.
    I got influenza whilst pregnant and needed hospitalisation even though I thought I was drinking a lot I was very dehydrated and needed IV fluids.
    Get well soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (31-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second MummaOJ - this is a cold not the flu. I had a cold that became an awful cough that lasted 2 weeks after around 19 weeks pregnant. I was so worried about the coughing fits hurting baby - shouldn't have been as she's perfectly fine.
    I'm sure billions of pregnant women have had colds in various stages of pregnancy, and it's just one more of those things the body copes with thankfully.
    Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much, I was leaning more towards cold because it's just a runny nose and sneezing. I've had a lemon soup that has really helped. I'm trying to rest and drink up I'm also looking after my toddler so he bleeps me on my toys. Good luck with the rest of the journey.