+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to breastfeeding-help I'm lost!

Hi! I had my bub 5 days ago via c section. As of day 2 the lovely nurses have been 'milking' my colostrum and over the last 2-3 days my milk has been coming in. I am expressing and feeding ebm and until today also using nipple shields and feeding some by breast (inverted nipples, now bleeding damaged nipples and premmie who needs 70ml each feed).

My main question is, is it normal for me to feel SO lousy? When I let down my body gets EXTREMELY hot (no fever when measured). I have constantly very hot breasts and back. After my last feed my scar really ached and I found it hard to move again.

Any hints, tips, advice etc. Will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately can be normal Over time it will get better but I certainly found that breast feeding made me hot and sweaty. Your c section wound may be hurting because you are starting to do more - make sure you keep up with the pain relief.
    Can you get access to a lactation consultant? They might be able to help you more with inverted nipples and the damage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

tootsiegirl  (04-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe your scar is aching from your uterus contracting? Using your abdo muscles will give you a little tummy "muscle" ache. Also I get hot and sweaty when I bf too. Hope it gets better. Hang in there

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (31-12-2013),tootsiegirl  (04-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes completely normal, breast feeding is hard at the beginning and painful. I remember feeling a bit sick after every let down. I agree that if your abdominals are hurting that could be your uterus contracting. It does get easier with time.

Re: bleeding, sore nipples Lansinoh ointment was a lifesaver.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    All very normal! Breastfeeding can be extraordinarily hard to get the hang of (both for your and the baby as you are both learning how to do it).

In regard to bleeding and damaged nipples, try different positions. I know this can all sound overwhelming but take some deep breaths, it is doable. Try the football hold or if you can master the lying down position you can get some rest as you feed which I'm sure you could do with. When baby is not feeding express some milk onto your nipples and expose them to the air, optimal is direct sunlight. Yep, flash your boobs to your neighbours! No, seriously, I'm guessing you don't feel quite like doing that but if you can make it outside and get even a few moments of sun on your boobs it will do wonders. If you can't get outside then airing them inside will also help.

Each time your baby has a feed just focus on getting through that feed, don't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow or the day after, your goal is to just get through that feed.

Come back here and post as much as you want. Have a vent, have a cry, have a rant but most importantly pat yourself on the back for every feed and share your achievements.

Remember, there is NO SUCH THING as a stupid question.

You might also want to consider seeking a Lactation Consultant who can give you the very best advice on continuing to feed your baby. If you do just ask in here for recommendations for your area, no doubt someone will be able to help.

Lastly, you are doing a fantastic job, you should be very proud of yourself.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-12-2013),tootsiegirl  (04-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on having your baby, and welcome to motherhood!
    The sweats are normal, it's terrible but yes I've had them and it's not pleasant.
    I also had a premie (twice) first time DD was ok and the nurses helped 'milk' the colostrum but then I was able to breastfeed as she was in rooming with me.
    DS was tube fed for a week and it took us 3 days to learn to breastfeed.
    What pumps are you using? The hospital I went to had the medela and I found the shields they provide are NOT a fit for all, they sell different sizes and they also have soft ones, I for example was given a 24mm which is standard but was too big for me and I was pumping too vigorously hence I had very sore blistered nipples so I ended up with a smaller size and softer plastic and since then I haven't had any issues. Also use linolin cream in between pup sessions.
    unfortunately it's part of it... your nipples need to adjust to their new function, it will get better

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in a similar situation but flat, not inverted, nipples OP (newborn).

I'm using EBM on them and Lansinoh & also Rite Aid patches (get some!) and airing them as much as possible during the day. They are repairing quickly but getting damaged equally so ;( I'm also expressing after a feed & storing it for nights so that I can rest my nipples. I've also 'topped up' with formula on a few occasions when I just couldn't continue and bubs was frantic.

I'm pretty fed up with every midwife having a different way of doing it (although I respect that), so suggest you find an LC & just stick with them. That way they can monitor your progress & the advice will be consistent.

It's SO HARD, I'm just hoping it gets easier & am starting to loose hope! Keep in touch OP, we can vent together.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a word of congrats and encouragement to all the ladies out there doing the hard yards with breastfeeding. It can be really hard and painful, especially at first.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (31-12-2013),Jellyfishie  (30-12-2013),JungleMum  (31-12-2013),tootsiegirl  (04-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats @tootsiegirl!

Nice work on getting this far with breastfeeding...hang in there cos it really does get easier.

I also had killer hot flushes when feeding, I swear it must be what menopause is like! (And then my skin broke out from all the hormones and it was like I was going through menopause and puberty at the same time, having a baby is so freaking awesome!?)

I was just about exactly where you are 5 months ago, DS was in neonate unit, (but not prem). Now I look back on all that milking and pumping and nipple shields and pain and It is such a distant memory.

These days I just stick him on the boob anywhere, anytime, no accessories needed.

At first I found breastfeeding hard and painful, but I chose to do it and the natural and easy part came with time.

Good luck xx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember those days. If it's any consolation, I'm not brave and it did get easier and more comfortable much quicker than even I was expecting.

Already mentioned above, but the hydrogel disks (rite aid or medela) and lanolin (lasinoh) cream were really helpful for me in the early days. You can store the hydrogel disks in the fridge - they are extra soothing when cold.

Whilst I was in hospital, the physio came around and did laser treatments for sore nipples. This seemed to help speed up the healing of grazes/cracks and I'd really recommend it if that's an option for you. I had 2 treatments (once a day for 2 days) and that made a big difference. They said to go in to the clinic and get treated as an outpatient if I had any ongoing issues.

As mentioned above, I found trying new feeding positions helps rest the sore bits a little. I am really unco and could only manage 2 different ones (football and cross) for ages, but even alternating between just these two helped. Apparently using different positions also helps empty the milk ducts thoroughly and helps prevent mastitis, so it's worth learning and practicing more than one feeding position if you can.

Good luck!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post: