+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My two have never had swimming lessons. DD is almost 5yo and DS is just turned 3yo. Neither of them have had official swimming lessons though we do go to the pools and beach alot...usually once a week.

Swimming lessons IMO are hugely over priced and completely unnessasary until school age. At ages 3 and under its about water familarisation and 3-6ish years its about building confidence in the water. If you throw a child into swimming lessons who have never been in water before or hasnt had enough time in water to feel safe then your just playing with fire IMO.

yes learning to swim is important but LESSONS...no, waste of time if you ask me.

BTW, DD has swim very well without floaties (we took them off when she turned 4). She can swim under water, kick and do basic stokes (breast stroke). DS is still wearing floaties (in the pool, not the beach) and is learning to kick and his confidence in growing. It will be interesting to see where she is in comparison to other kids when shes starts lessons in school next year) He loves to jump off the sides play on is kick board.

Id leave swimming lessons and instead take your bub to the pools regularly and focus on water familarisation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think swimming lessons are really important. We used to live on a canal and also near the beach, we now have a pool.

For your first child I would start as soon as you want to. For subsequent children, you can do the water familarisation activities you learnt already up until they are about 2 without the need for lessons. (IMO)

I did read some time ago that children go through a wonder week type change around 2 where they can suddenly become scared of the water, hate swimming, hate water on face etc regardless of lessons before then. I started DD in formal lessons at around 21 months and this did happen with her about 6 months later for a month or two.

I plan to start DS at 2 and hopefully have him in the pool most weeks until then. DD has kept up her lessons. I also never had floaties for her on the advice of her swim school, just a noodle or being held. She has just turned 6 and can swim 10m freestyle with side arm breathing and 10m backstroke. She had school swimming lessons for the first time 2 months ago and was the 2nd most competent swimmer in her year level. Almost all of the other children her age who had not had lessons were in the paddling pool learning glides etc. I worked out we've spent close to $2000 on her lessons over the years and watching her in the water DH and I agree it has been worth every cent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CatesBean View Post
    We're planning on starting at 6 months which is February for us. Very excited!!

Do you mind if I ask were the private pools heated? I always thought they had to be heated until 6 months (could be wrong?) did they like it at 8 weeks or get cold quickly?
    We live in darwin and the water is only cold ( our cold LOL) for a few months. Where they have lessons It is heated in the middle of the dry season.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a difference in learning to swim and learning to save yourself if you fall in. The first thing all mine learnt as babies was to turn around and go back to the edge if they fall in. Before anything else they learn this. Then They learn going under the water so if they do fall in they don't panic. It's all about not drowning initially which can be taught at any age.Then comes the swimming which they need to be older. That's why mine started so young. I figure if they are old enough to crawl they need to have lessons. Living in the north everyone has a pool and our government gives 5 free lessons vouchers to all children under 5.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (08-01-2014),Koarlo  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    We will be starting DS at 4 Years, when he can Learn to actually swim. Before that was not a priority as we rarely spend time in water and when we are around water he's never alone or loose to be honest!
    Children can actually learn to swim much earlier than 4. There are 2 year olds at our swim school that swim on their own and these kids started when they were 3 months old

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have recently started with our 5 month old. The lessons are fun and we all have a good time. If you have the time, money and access to a good swim school, then it's a great activity for the bubs and parents.