+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't think there is a universal best age for when babies/toddlers shoudl start learning to swim - I think it comes down to how important it is for the parents that their child is familiar with swimming and hopefully learning some techniques to save themselves. I'm not sure if you're aware OP so forgive me if you do but swimming lessons for babies is focused on water safety - teaching them how to return to the side of the pool if they fall in, holding onto the side of the pool or what ever is nearest etc.

For me it was super important that my kids are competent swimmers. I grew up on the Gold Coast - learning to swim was in the same league as learning to walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started DD at 4 months. She absolutely loved it and more so now at 8 months. She loves being dunked!

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We only started at six months because that's the pool's rules - to do with insurance apparently. But I would have loved to have started younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DD1 at 12 months. She did lessons until she was 2 and a bit and then the pool closed down. We restarted her again when she was 3 and she loved it straight away. Now at 5 she is a good little swimmer. I don't think doing previous lessons either helped or hindered her.

DD2 had ear infections and grommets so she didn't start swimming lessons until she was 3. She took to it straight away and is doing really well I don't think it has made the slightest difference that she hadn't had lessons any earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD started around six months I think, worked well for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Started around 2years, didn't want to risk ear and other infections etc. DS now 4 is doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will be starting DS at 4 Years, when he can Learn to actually swim. Before that was not a priority as we rarely spend time in water and when we are around water he's never alone or loose to be honest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 months of age for my son and 5 months for my daughter as she was 6 weeks early mum and dad had a pool back then so I was in it with them almost daily for fun..

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started lessons at 6 months. She went in a pool from around 4 months.

Was it necessary to start at 6 months in order to teach her to swim? No. There are kids that started later than her and swim just as well. They will look at moving her to the next group where they swim by themselves at 2.5.

Have we enjoyed it? Yes. We thought it was a nice activity to do with her and builds her confidence in water and water skills at the same time. Regularly going to the pool could also do this. For us, this was easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I tried baby swim with DD1 when she was a bub i found it ok but its the same thing week after week so we only went for the one term than went swimming by ourselves after that singing the same silly songs and playing etc.

I put her in learn to swim lessons at 4yrs and she learnt pretty quickly.