+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18 month old not talking

Hi all, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Im starting to get a little bit worried about my 18 month old DS, as he doesnt talk - at all.

He makes the sound "dadadadad" in a babble but not in context (as much as DH tries to convince me that he is talking to him lol). And thats it.

If he wants something, he will stand in front of me and make a "eh" sound, getting louder and more annoyed each time until I figure out what it is he wants.

Everytime I mention it to anyone all I hear is to give him time, he will eventually start talking etc etc but Im just wondering, how much time do I give him? When should I start to become concerned?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi OP, without wanting to offend you, I've seen this same questioned posted a million times since I've joined bubhub. The answer is always overwhelmingly - don't stress until he turns two at least. Lots of 18mos don't talk. My own DS really only started at 17mo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply

I did some research before I posted, and yes, I saw some other people posting SIMILAR questions but the ones I read all were saying that their children were only saying a few words. This concerned me because, as I stated in my original post, my DS does not say a single word. I also did not see anything about not being a cause for concern until 2 years plus, so thank you for that information, thats all I wanted to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you seen the MCHN in your area for an 18 mth check? I would start with that, see what she says and then go from there. They can refer you for an assessment if they feel it's necessary. I disagree about waiting. I waited till 21mths and DS is now 28mths and has not improved a great deal. We have a 9mth wait for public speech therapy in my area. Other areas are longer so the sooner you are on the list the better. If he improves in that time (and many do have a speech explosion) and you feel he no longer needs ST then you can pull out, no harm done.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

DmansMummy  (30-12-2013),Maxwell's Silver Hammer  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 2 1/2 to 3yr's old he should be able string 2 to 3 words together in a basic sentence, but until then you need to remember that every child develops at a different pace. Your DS has got plenty of time to practice the skill of language.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get a hearing test done as a first step to rule out hearing issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does he understand instructions, ie go and get your shoes, put the book away, etc, and can he point to body parts when you name them? Just wondering what his hearing is like because you say he has no words at all.

Also something to consider is that most public Speech Pathologists have very long waiting lists, so if you are concerned it would be better to get him on a waiting list now. At least if in 6 months (or 8 - 12 in some areas) when they offer you an appt if you are no longer concerned you don't have to make an appt. But if at 2 yrs you are still concerned then it could be another 6 months or more before he is actually seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you speak more than one language to your LO? My friend's husband is Spanish and only talks to their DD in Spanish while my friend speaks to her in English. She didn't start speaking any words until she was 20-22months.
    My friend was told this happens then you speak more than one language to the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated

Only one language here BubblesK, I can see how that could be confusing for a baby to pick up on.

Spotty Socks, he does understand instructions, he will do things like close the door/drawer/cupboard when told, goes and gets specific toys, puts stuff away, comes and sits down when i tell him i need to put his shoes on, will go and stand next to his high chair when I say its breakfast/lunch/dinner time etc. He doesnt point though, not to anything at all, if you ask him where something or someone is, he will just look in that direction to identify it. So I dont think its a hearing issue.

Wise Old Owl, I havent seen an MCHN since he was 6 weeks lol. He gets his checkups at the GP when he gets his immunisations. DH took him for his 18 month ones last week, I should have got him to ask when they were there.

I know someone who has a couple of her kids in speech therapy in my neighbourhood, Ill ask her how long the wait is here. In the meantime, Ill just try to find out the best ways to try and encourage him to start talking. I think half the problem might be that we know what he wants most of the time, so he doesnt have to talk to us lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DmansMummy View Post
    In the meantime, Ill just try to find out the best ways to try and encourage him to start talking. I think half the problem might be that we know what he wants most of the time, so he doesnt have to talk to us lol.
    I know some great blogs by speech pathologists that can help with that if you are interested I'd be happy to post links.