+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 10 month old throwing food

My 10 month old keeps chucking her food over the side of her high chair, even if she's hungry and it's something she loves. I'm not sure how to react, I've tried saying "NO" and going back to eating my own food, saying "NO" and picking it up and giving it back, and just completely ignoring that she even did it. When I say no, she whimpers until u look at her then smiles at me so I'm sure it's all a ploy for attention. Is this something I can teach her not to do or is it just something that I have to wait out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd has been doing this for over two months! She is 1. It's driving me crazy! Sorry no advice...because if what I had done was working and making her stop then she would've stopped ages ago!

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our little fellow went through a phase of doing this. The look on his face was priceless when he did it! So cheeky.

I think if you just keep telling her no, and tell her not to do it, she will soon stop and grow out of it. Our boy did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely ignore. Still doing it at 13 months but it is only a few pieces per meal. I pick up at the end and re offer food. I don't make a big deal. He does it to experiment with what is does, sounds etc. I don't find it a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our babies are same age and dd is doing the exact same thing. I initially thought it meant she didn't want any more and took it away, but I've discovered if I give it back she'll keep eating.
    The dog is soo fat lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much advice to offer as I don't remember our boy, now 1yrs, throwing food except accidentally dropping it while it was going from table/plate to mouth. And from early on I said that if it falls on the floor it stays on the floor... until we clean the table & clean the floor - our little ritual after each meal, and bub "helps" me while I clean the floor by picking up (and eating) any bits of fallen food.

You say you've tried different things without much success. Maybe pick one strategy and stick with it? I know that consistency helps. Also, as pp said, try not to make a big deal out of it... acknowledge it if you want - oopsie, you dropped something - and then carry on with the meal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Que Sera  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty standard behavior, DD did the same then outgrew it.
    Just keep saying no, don't laugh or give a big reaction. I used to collect the food on a plate and give it back if she hadn't eaten enough I did this so she wouldn't make the connection 'I throw this mum picks it up and give it back', anyway it's normal and it won't go on forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep this is actually a milestone the CHN asks u if ur baby has achieved if u take them for a 1year check up. Well mine did.

It's apparently a spatial thing about oh wow threw it here and it landed there.

They do grow out of it. My 2yo does it now to get attention and we firmly tell him no which is hard for him to understand as we let the 1yo do it as for him he isn't being naughty just learning.

They do grow out of it though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its just part of their development my 10 month old does it too. Lucky I have dogs so clean up is easy haha but if they are hanging around her chair while she's eating she throws even more food because apparently its hilarious to feed them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app