+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Smoking neighbors

My neighbor smokes quite heavily and it's really getting to me. Now I know she is doing nothing wrong she has every right to sit in her backyard and smoke her life away. The problem is that it blows straight into my house to the point where it actually smells like she is sitting in my lounge room smoking. I'm 6 months pregnant so I worry about how bad it is for me to be smelling it all day. My husband thinks all the bad chemicals would be gone before it comes into our house but I'm not sure. She smokes less then 8m from the window of the soon to be nursery so I'm worried about the effects it could have on our baby being that cigarette smoke is a sids risk and all. Does anybody know anymore about this fact?
    Is there anything else out there that I can do or try someone suggested an air purifier but that is something that is used in a closed house I believe?
    I also suffer migraines so not only does it make them worse but smelly room sprays trigger them too.
    Thanks heaps

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you have bubs in the room with you for a few months? It's recommended by sids for you & bubs to be in the same room for 6m to a year.

Other than that once bubs is in their own room, maybe just keep their room window shut when they're in there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have read that second hand smoke is worse....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh what a horrible situation A quick google brings up this website which seems to have some great tips, good luck!

http://www.nsma.org.au/strata.htm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Loulou789  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones&Me View Post
    Can you have bubs in the room with you for a few months? It's recommended by sids for you & bubs to be in the same room for 6m to a year.

Other than that once bubs is in their own room, maybe just keep their room window shut when they're in there?
    I plan on having bub in our room to start with for sleeping but I will still be taking them in and out of the nursery because the change table and everything else will be in there still. I'm just worried that if I leave the window open to air the room when it's not in use the smell will stick to all the curtains and bedding? So besides keeping every window on the side and back of the house shut I feel a little lost for ideas.

lovepurplebutterflies I've heard this that is why I'm most worried! I was just curious if anyone knew how long it took for the bad chemicals to go or do they stick around with the smell of the smoke?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Could you put some plants in down that side of the house that might help to absorb the odour/block it from entering the windows?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our old house we had the same problem.

Our neighbour was at home with her toddler and stood by the fence dividing our properties and smoked all day. And i really mean, all day!! And then her and her partner did it at night.

Our back door, outdoor area and dd's bedroom was only a couple of metres from the fence. This was Qld near the beach so prior to them moving in we relied on ocean breezes for fresh air/ cooling the house. And we had to obviously shut everything up, which didn't even help the smell much.

The frustrating thing was they had another outside area at the other side of their house (we knew previous owners) that wouldn't have impacted any neighbours if she smoked there!!

We tried to talk to them but they wouldn't open the door to us and ignored us. Are you on friendly terms with your neighbour? Maybe she doesn't realise its impacting you so much?

It really is horrible. I had a baby and was pregnant at the time, I feel for you OP!

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would just talk to her. She may not realize it's going into your property, and may not know that's where the nursery will be.
    How annoying though OP she should be smoking closer to her property than yours regardless. Very inconsiderate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The path between our houses is just all stones so not plant friendly plus their house is raised above ours (going sideways down a hill) so we would need massive trees to make a difference sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Salty View Post
    In our old house we had the same problem.

Our neighbour was at home with her toddler and stood by the fence dividing our properties and smoked all day. And i really mean, all day!! And then her and her partner did it at night.

Our back door, outdoor area and dd's bedroom was only a couple of metres from the fence. This was Qld near the beach so prior to them moving in we relied on ocean breezes for fresh air/ cooling the house. And we had to obviously shut everything up, which didn't even help the smell much.

The frustrating thing was they had another outside area at the other side of their house (we knew previous owners) that wouldn't have impacted any neighbours if she smoked there!!

We tried to talk to them but they wouldn't open the door to us and ignored us. Are you on friendly terms with your neighbour? Maybe she doesn't realise its impacting you so much?

It really is horrible. I had a baby and was pregnant at the time, I feel for you OP!
    We are in qld too so we need to air flow especially this time of year as it is very impracticable to just run the air con all day.
    I've never spoken to her only the husband a few times but he keeps throwing his palm fronds over our side of the fence so don't know how they would take being told about the smoking lol Their dog even died last year from lung cancer so wouldn't you think that would make her stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe look at getting an air purifier?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app