Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hubby got his new job through gumtree

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

lovebeingamum!  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    DH has recently been made redundant and uses seek. It's awesome! All the jobs in the paper are listed there too. He has his resume and cover letter already attached to his profile so he just presses the apply button and that's it. Done. Easy.

He also did a resume drop to all the places within his field.
    I would be writing a new cover letter for each application and tailoring it towards the company. A generic cover letter isn't going to get you any interviews.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Pumpkin1106  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I would be writing a new cover letter for each application and tailoring it towards the company. A generic cover letter isn't going to get you any interviews.
    This ^

I work in HR and much prefer to see a cover letter which is customised for the particular role being applied for.

Shows that the applicant has taken some time and consideration over the application and helps them stick out over other applicants.

A well written cover letter is just as important as the resume.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    DH is only applying for the same type of jobs with similar companies so doesn't need to change the cover letter. But if it was for a broad range of different jobs then that would be more beneficial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    DH is only applying for the same type of jobs with similar companies so doesn't need to change the cover letter. But if it was for a broad range of different jobs then that would be more beneficial.
    Each job and company is still going to be different though.

I was applying for midwife positions at qld health hospitals. Each ad had the exact same job description and details, but I still personalized my cover letter for each hospital as to why I wanted to work at that particular hospital - whether it was because I done clinical placement, liked the look of the low risk midwifery care models they offered, the high risk tertiary care they offered etc.

even if you don't change the content of the cover letter at least personally address it (name and position) to the person doing the recruitment each time you submit an application.