+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Staphylococcus infection

DS, 14, has a Staphylococus infection. I was told to keep him indoors and away from people, especially babies, for 10 days.
    My concern is that we have DD, 17 months!
    The poor kid is basically isolated in his room He was only diagnosed tonight but has been in close contact with DD (holding, kissing etc) before we found out.
    Has anyone ever had a child with staph? What were their symptoms? How severe was it? Did your other children catch it?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    DS, 14, has a Staphylococus infection. I was told to keep him indoors and away from people, especially babies, for 10 days.
    My concern is that we have DD, 17 months!
    The poor kid is basically isolated in his room He was only diagnosed tonight but has been in close contact with DD (holding, kissing etc) before we found out.
    Has anyone ever had a child with staph? What were their symptoms? How severe was it? Did your other children catch it?

What type in infection? When I had school sores (some form of staph) once I had started my antibiotics I was allowed back at work as long as I covered the sores with a bandaid. Seems a bit extreme to have to make him stay in his room, especially if he was in contact before he was diagnosed. Is it worth getting a second opinion tomorrow?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds had a severe staph infection when he was 3. It turned to toxic shock syndrome as it was left untreated (while in hospital, docs thought it was severe gastro for 3 days) and he ended up critical at the children's hospital. Needed 2 weeks of iv antibiotics before coming home. Once we found out it was staph, only the doctors that came into his room would wear gloves, face masks and a disposable coat thing. Nurses didn't. We also had a 5 month old ds at the time and not once were we told to keep him away. We didn't let ds1 touch or go near ds2 but that was only because ds1 was so sick and out of it that we had no reason to let them have contact. I was going back and forth between them though and nurses never said anything. I would be on the hospital bed comforting ds1, then had to breastfeed ds2.
    I would try to limit contact if you can but from my experience I wouldn't worry. Hope your ds gets better quick!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    He isn't literally isolated or locked in his bedroom, although it sure feels that way to him- he was meant to be staying at his friends house from today until Tuesday and I'm so glad I cancelled it this morning due to his cough. He has a fever and nausea right now so he is in bed and has only ventured out today for a shower, food and the doctor visit. He knows not to touch DD as the doc said it is trasmitted via the lesions on his skin.
    He is on strong antibiotics.
    I don't know exactly what type he has as DH was the one who took him and didn't ask the types of questions I would have- I thought he would just be going to get his cough checked out and also told him to check what the little blisters were on DS's back, arms and chest- had no idea that the cough had caused a staph infection...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    He isn't actually isolated or locked in his bedroom, although it sure feels that way to him- he was meant to be staying at his friends house from today until Tuesday and I'm so glad I cancelled it this morning due to his cough. He has a fever and nausea right now so he is in bed and has only ventured out today for a shower, food and the doctor visit. He knows not to touch DD as the doc said it is trasmitted via the lesions on his skin.
    He is on strong antibiotics.
    I don't know exactly what type he has as DH was the one who took him and didn't ask the types of questions I would have- I thought he would just be going to get his cough checked out and also told him to check what the little blisters were on DS's back, arms and chest- had no idea that the cough had caused a staph infection...

If he has skin lesions make sure you wash his towels after he uses them (hopefully you already are). Maybe ring the dr tomorrow and get some more details - gotta love when hubby doesn't ask many questions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If he has skin lesions make sure you wash his towels after he uses them (hopefully you already are). Maybe ring the dr tomorrow and get some more details - gotta love when hubby doesn't ask many questions.
    Yes I have already made sure he uses a seperate towel and am also spraying everything he touches with Glen20- poor bugger.
    And yep, I wish I had taken him to the docs to ask more questions...

Last edited by ~Marigold~; 29-12-2013 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got back from hospital emergency department- the rash spread like crazy today so I took him in... turns out DS has chicknpox!!! Not staphylococcus.
    I don't get it, he has had it in the past and was also immunised against it. How can he get it after being immunised?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Immunisations aren't 100%. They cause the body to make protective antibodies but some people don't make enough to completely stop the disease. If you get chicken pox the same reaction occurs and in theory you won't get it again. I certainly had it twice so I'm obviously a poor responder.

Hope you little dude starts feeling better soon.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-12-2013),~Marigold~  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they swab to confirm? Breakthrough varicella is usually milder- less than 50 lesions I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Did they swab to confirm? Breakthrough varicella is usually milder- less than 50 lesions I think.
    No. But I am confident, the doctor at the hospital was fantastic. He identified the different spots and compared and explained each stage of infection.
    He did however advise not to continue with the antibiotics given to DS by the GP as obviously they aren't needed anymore... but I'm still giving them to DS, just in case it isn't chickenpox... if one doctor can get it so wrong, my faith is a little diminished now and I'm going to take precautions..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-12-2013)