+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default moving to melb advise needed urgently!!!!

Hi parents,
    DH and i are looking to relocate to Melbourne in a very short space of time being 4 weeks and need to find somewhere to live urgently, however need to make the right decision for the kids going forward we dont wont to be moving from suburb to suburb to "try"them out so to speak!.We are looking for a family friendly suburb with parks, sporting swimming centre, childcare for little ones kindergarten and primary schools shopping centres. A safe and clean environment which would allow us to rent a 4 bedder 2 bath for approx $350 per week. Essentially then the ability to build for approx $450k. We would ideally like a slightly bigger block than most city folk would enjoy!! DH has secured work in Bacchus Marsh and whilst im sure it may have its advantages we werent looking to live in BM, so looking further inward to Western Melbourne.We have considered Taylors Lakes and Caroline Springs which we like however have been told there is increasing crime, we like Point Cook but been advised poor traffic poor broadband, no pool and local council is doing little to start new infrastructure to support the growing population. We also have looked at Sunbury but have also heard mixed reviews in regards to crime etc and also conscious of the time to commute to the city etc.We would like the ability to get to Geelong, East Melb, the city etc, so North Melb to me made sense but Craigeburn is to far when considering the daily commute to bachus marsh for my DH.Any advice in respect to all these areas would be greatly appreciated as we are fast running out of time and have no idea where to begin.I know it all seems like a very tall order but we are just keen to find a lovely family orientated spot to settle with the family.

many thanks in advance

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unfortunately for that price you're not going to tick all your boxes. I would reconsider Point Cook. If your DH is commuting to Bacchus Marsh he will be going the opposite way to the rest of the traffic so apart from getting in/out of Point Cook it wouldn't be too bad. Have you thought about moving slightly further in and downsizing a little from say a 4 to 3 beds, or one less bathroom? Then you could look at places like Altona or East Keilor/Maidsone/Maribyrnong which are far more established older suburbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are in williams landing which is just right next to point cook. It is a tiny new developing urban infill suburb but it doesn't have the traffic issues of point cook. I can be on the highway in under 3 mins. It took about 8 weeks for a port for internet but I hear that's good considering some areas of point cook wait several months or more. No local swimming pool though but we are 10min drive from the beach. DD goes to swimming lessons that are avout 20mins away and they are a fabulous swim school. Tons of parks and community events. 15 mins from werribee zoo. Williams landing is also where the new train station is so you can access the city pretty easily by train. Hubby walks to the station every day and it takes him about 12mins. We do all our shopping, community group stuff etc in point cook we just dont have the traffic issue. Point cook is a lot of young families and very community minded.We pay 370 for a 4bed 2 bath, small yard.
    The public school that we are zoned to is excellent and very innovative. If you are looking to buy in the future there will be a town centre which construction is meant to start on soon and the plan for the area looks impressive. If you do a google you should be able to find the suburb/town centre plan owned by cedar woods.
    We originally moved to epping (up north near Craigieburn) when we first moved to melbourne and we didnt really like it and moved here after our first lease ended.wr wont be leaving anytime soon and plan to stay in this area. We have made friends here pretty easily by just by going to some local events and joining community FB groups.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Unfortunately for that price you're not going to tick all your boxes. I would reconsider Point Cook. If your DH is commuting to Bacchus Marsh he will be going the opposite way to the rest of the traffic so apart from getting in/out of Point Cook it wouldn't be too bad. Have you thought about moving slightly further in and downsizing a little from say a 4 to 3 beds, or one less bathroom? Then you could look at places like Altona or East Keilor/Maidsone/Maribyrnong which are far more established older suburbs.
    Great advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister lives in caroline Springs, I live in deer park which is close, ceiling Springs is lovely it's one of the suburbs we are looking to move when we buy next year, either that or hillside

Thanks
    Reviews
    You won't find a place in Altona with 4 bedrooms for $350, we pay $450 for 3 bedrooms.
    You might find something in Altona meadows though.

I wouldn't suggest point cook as traffic wise it's hectic during peak hour. Also the internet and infrastructure there is terrible, as there is only 2 ways in and out.
    You could look at hoppers crossing, werribee, Williams landing, tarniet ect as these areas you should be able to buy for your price range latter on. If you try closer in you'll not find anything in the price range you have mentioned. Houses around Altona are selling for about $600,000 up to over $1 mill.

We live in Altona and travel to hoppers crossing for swimming lessons as I love the swim school there. Like I said previously we have a larger price range and couldn't find a four bedroom house in the Altona area within our budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely look on the Bacchus side of the freeway, instead of point cook, Altona, etc. We lived in PC and dh was commuting to Ballarat (going up to Bacchus to get onto the highway) and the worst part was getting over the freeway.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by supersic View Post
    You won't find a place in Altona with 4 bedrooms for $350, we pay $450 for 3 bedrooms.

I wouldn't suggest point cook as traffic wise it's hectic during peak hour. Also the internet and infrastructure there is terrible, as there is only 2 ways in and out.
    You could look at hoppers crossing, werribee, Williams landing, tarniet ect as these areas you should be able to buy for your price range latter on. If you try closer in you'll not find anything in the price range you have mentioned. Houses around Altona are selling for about $600,000 up to over $1 mill.

We live in Altona and travel to hoppers crossing for swimming lessons as I love the swim school there. Like I said previously we have a larger price range and couldn't find a four bedroom house in the Altona area within our budget.
    Paul saddler?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supersic View Post

That's why I said the OP could think about downsizing to a 3 bed. I think she will have to make a choice between house size and amenities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Kurunjang which is a suburb of melton, you hear bad things about Melton but that's on the south side.

We're been in melton for 2 years now and I've never experienced any crime issues.

I went most of the primary schools and chose one that I heard great reviews about.

DS goes to a swim school here and it's great.

We brought our house here in June and we paid 350k for 4 beds and 2 bathrooms and 2 living rooms and we have quiet a large block.

We are 10 mins from Bacchus as we'll.