+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD was around 6 months old during the hottest part of last summer and we did not have air conditioning. One thing I did to keep her cool and also amused was to fill her highchair tray with water and let her splash about- she was sitting strapped in so was safe and I would add toys to her tray and place her chair on the tiles. I'd have her in just a nappy and she would happily drench herself and I'd just keep topping up the water for her.
    Also I would give her a wet flannel/face washer to hold when I put her to bed, which she enjoyed sucking on until she fell asleep- some nights it was the ONLY thing that would calm her down and get her to sleep if she was crabby from the heat.
    I also found a nice shady spot in the backyard and took her out in her baby bath (used it like a little pool) with lots of toys etc.
    Having no air con sucks- thankfully we finally have one for this summer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my daughter was born in november in the middle of a heatwave. we are in sa so get dry heat which is not exactly the same, but the first month of my daughter's life was in a 40-50 degree heatwave (it averages 40 degrees here all summer in country SA). I had air conditioning but it was ineffective as it wasn't working properly. If you place a wet facewasher or towel over a pedestal fan, it acts as an air conditioner. put it directly in front of where your baby is sleeping so it blows them cool. You will need to change the wet item as it dries out eventually. I would also have lots of water play. You can get cheap wading pools from places like cheap as chips, or you could just let them play in a cool bath. At my daughter's child care centre I know on hot days they let the children play with ice chips sometimes.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All these replies saying to wet something to place near entrances/on fans I just wonder if where you are is humid? During this heatwave it's going to be very humid as well.. I can only imagine a wet cloth over the doors would make it worse?!

It's all about air flow when it's this humid - fans, fans and more fans!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (29-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly it makes me wonder how and why every house in QLD doesn't have aircon. It is so hot!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    Honestly it makes me wonder how and why every house in QLD doesn't have aircon. It is so hot!!
    Cause it would be friggen expensive! Mine would be on 24/7!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    Because half the time aircon doesn't work properly when it gets too humid!

It also depends where you live & what your house is like. MIL is bayside and they get an awesome breeze in the afternoon. My house on the other hand is built so that the side of the house which catches the breeze has one window only!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It should be a standard when building a house, just like heating.
    We rent and our house doesn't have an air conditioner- we spent 4 or 5 summers here sweltering. We ended up buying our own air con a few months ago, second hand off ebay- best purchase ever- yesterday was pushing 40c in Melb and my house was cool

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have aircon downstairs but none upstairs. Got everything closed, aircon on and fans on 3 upstairs. Going to bring DD's mattress downstairs for her sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Air con is god.

I have lived in houses with it and without it and I feel it's fairly essential if you want to live comfortably in most houses in summer.

Last summer we bought a window box air con as our landlord "didn't believe in air conditioners". I can honestly say on those 40+ degree days it would have been hell without it. The beauty of these units is that you take them with you when you move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aircon in dryer climates is fantastic, I completely agree. But we had aircon in our old house, and it was reverse cycle, expensive model low energy etc, and it just stopped working during humid days. So whilst it is awesome, sometimes it just doesn't work!