+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for keeping newborn & toddler cool during hot weather

Hello has any one got any ideas for keeping a newborn and toddler cool during hot weather, we are in qld and they are predicting heat waves starting tomorrow & for this next week. We don't have air con, I was planning on setting up lots of outdoor water activities for my toddler (under cover & supervised) and making sure he keeps well hydrated but am not sure how to keep my newborn comfortable and cool apart from regular feeds and wiping down with cool face cloths. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my 2 in Brisbane and in summer my newborn lived in a nappy and singlet and had a fan to cool her down. i didn't wrap/swaddle my babies

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Things like making sure whatever side of the house that gets the sun is shut up as early as possible. All fans on high,

lots of cool water, icy poles (if you have any juice/cordial you can diy) water play of a daytime, allow them to nap in the coolest room in the house.

Keep a spritzer/trigger bottle handy that has cold water in it & spray yourself/the toddler every now&then. Cook dinner first thing in the morning, or have salad or takeaway (or something that doesn't require cooking) I cook overnight in the slow cooker.

Shower/bath in the afternoon (round 4-5) I find it's as it's going down and makes you feel better.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also go to airconditioned public places, the library usually have story time on.

Check out Brisbane kids' calendar for cheap/free activities that will be inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Electric water cooler... (Portable one). Better than a fan. Grab them for $250-$300. Great during nap times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wet a muslin and drape on the side on the cot. It will help cool the air if there is any breeze. I just got a pram fan - it's awesome but goes through the batteries!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds was born in summer but had to be swaddled or didn't sleep. I found the lite love to dream swaddle bags wonderful because they aren't bulky with layers of fabric and the material breathes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in qld and my dd was born in summer. I swaddled her still mostly just in a nappy or with a singlet. Though I put the a/c on at night time. Hopefully there will be some breeze here tomorrow...its supposed to get very hot!
    Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just remember if a bub is born in the hotter months they wont really know any different and have a higher threshold for warmth FYNWIM.
    Both my bubs were born in hot months, Dec and Jan and i swaddled both. I agree with the draping a damp muslin over the cot, with a fan pointed away from the cot. re wet it when you get up for feeds. Get another for you to drap over yourself for feeding time too, makes it way more comfortable. Make sure the windows get open at night and the paddling pool was a God send for the toddler. I would also give my newbie baths (warm, about room temp not cold) often through the day if it was really hot. Just a nappy here too.

I would try and visit the library, shops and pools (my DS was in the public pools at 3 weeks old).

Try not to worry, like i said they are more immune to the heat having been born in the hotter months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 was born in November and it was a really hot summer. We didn't have air con either.
    We would keep the house locked up to keep the heat out as long as possible. We went out to the shops/library/etc. when the temp peaked. Then we wet muslin cloths and put them a cross open windows to cool the breeze. We had a portable evap cooler which helped but it only works when there is low humidity. Which was fine here inMelbourne but would probably be useless up north.
    I would also give regular cool but not cold baths.