+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 yr old hitting us

Our usually charming DD1 is hitting her father and I when we make her do something she doesn't want to do, like changing her nappy, putting her down for her nap etc. We're at a loss as to how to deal with it. We don't want to just walk away, as that is what she is wanting us to do, she hits us when she wants us to leave her alone.
    She doesn't hit other kids but we're afraid if she doesn't learn it's wrong then she might soon.
    Help please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    if it was me, I would firmly say No in a stern voice and keep doing it every time she does it to you and hubby..you don't have to be rough just firm and let her know that you /hubby are the ones in control and her behaviour is not on. I started disciplining my 2 as soon as they were crawling and into things.. a firm no never hurts..you don't have to smack or hit, just take her hand and say no... good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2yo DD hits, it's mostly me and occasionally DH that she hits. It's definitely worse lately.

To be honest I don't have much advice as we're struggling a bit to curb the behaviour, but we give her a warning when she does it and tell her a firm "no", then if she does it again immediately afterwards she gets a 2 minute time out. I always explain why she's in time out at the start and end of it. Time out has some success in that it does usually diffuse the behaviour.

She tends to hit when she's frustrated, bored, wants attention or doesn't want to do something I've asked her to do. If I'm holding her and she hits the first thing I do is put her down before warning her and saying "no".

I think I might try walking away every time she hits, but that's hard to do when we're out.
    Last edited by Cue; 27-12-2013 at 15:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds (aged 2) starting doing this, he got told no hitting very sternly and told he would get time out and we took away what ever he was playing with if he did it again, we followed through with our warning every time and he soon stopped. There has to be consequences and you have to follow through.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We practice 123 magic so if my 2yr old daughter hits anyone it's an immediate '3' and she goes to her room for 2 min. 123 magic doesn't let them have extra chances when it comes to violent behaviour. Works really well here
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 27-12-2013 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    We practice 123 magic so if my 2yr old daughter hits anyone it's an immediate '3' and she goes to her room for 2 min. Works a treat here
    What is 123 magic in a nutshell? What are the basics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I'd like to know that too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-12-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Um it's really not that simple to explain but I will give you the very basics. If you're going to give it a go I would strongly suggest you read the book, I bought mine via the ipad or you could grab a hard copy somewhere.

Basically you count obnoxious "Stop" behaviors (whining, dangerous activities*, back chat). The focus is on more counting and less talking- so there is no reasoning like with the super nanny, I find it means I don't get as frustrated and you can move on. The book gives you 7 ideas for consequences ie time out is in a room/area with no electronic toys. It also explains the "Little Adult Assumption which covers why we do less talking/explaining.

You do not count them when they do not do "go" behaviors/tasks (things like brushing teeth, eating dinner, going to have a bath) it book gives you ideas on how to motivate them to do "go" behaviors.

If you have any questions or want any examples feel free to ask, it's been a lifesaver here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *dangerous behaviors that I count are things like the boys getting too rough with each other but before anyone gets hurt. My daughter likes to climb things so I count that. If they are doing something where danger is imminent it's an immediate 3 and straight to time out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I might download the book on my iPad. DD is at this very moment serving her 3rd time out in a row in her bedroom for hitting me! She just keeps whacking me! We really need to get on top of this...

ETA I'm 10wks pregnant so I really want to get the hitting sorted before the baby arrives.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (27-12-2013)