+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think they are inflexible as a company, they are subsidised by the government so part govt. I just think they want someone full time and can't offer working from home at the moment... But yes im hoping if I keep looking there will be something perfect and flexible. Probably not though, it seems it's either you love your job and get paid peanuts or with no flexibility or you don't particularly enjoy your job but there are perks like working from home and getting paid more...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Supposed to give an answer to them tomorrow, I still have no idea what I'm gona say! If I say no to them will I get a similar chance in a few years when kids are at school?! By that time I'll be out of that industry for 4 years so chances are I would have to start at junior level. It's a small industry too and very competitive. The company is big though so I would think it will be easier to get a day off with the next bub... If I stay at my current job it will be very boring and the company is tiny, but I do get 4 days instead of 5... And the job is a lot more generic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you say yes to the full time job and try it for a couple of months? If it doesn't work out, you could always go back to part time, although this may not be that easy depending on the industry you're in. I know that I couldn't do my job part time. Good luck with the decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber4304 View Post
    Can you say yes to the full time job and try it for a couple of months? If it doesn't work out, you could always go back to part time, although this may not be that easy depending on the industry you're in. I know that I couldn't do my job part time. Good luck with the decision.
    What industry are you in? The job I have now is a generic project management role, it's my first role outside of broadcast industry where i had worked before. So im lucky i got a part time PM role. I think project management is promising but it's sooo boring. Whereis I know everything in the broadcast and it's a very fun job...Cos broadcast is so small in Australia it's a lot harder to come by anything decent let alone part time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

not in your situation right now but im looking for a more interesting job and or closer to home this year so im constantly weighing up the pro's and con's in my head ....i just hate the idea of missing things when they are little iykwim.... Jobs come and go but they are only little for a short time... But on the other hand im limited by my location and the fact that a few jobs ive seen when i rang them they said flat out no would the position be p/t.....so IF a good job came up i would seriously have to consider it.... I have thought that i could get a nanny for an extra day or two maybe i would feel more comfortable ...is that an option? .for me i feel my dd is too young for f/t daycare...i dont think i would ever put them in two different daycares, too much hassle etc.... Have your current daycare given u a time frame until when that extra day would be available? Would they let u work an extra hour each day maybe until a spot opens up??? .....its hard as yep..my oart time job is cruisey and easy and familiar and it doesn't matter if ive had a bad night etc cos i can do it with my eyes closed...but gee its quite dull now as ive been there for almost 8 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandfather taught me a very logical way to solve problems like this. Get out a piece of paper & draw a line down the middle of it. On the left side write all the reasons you should take the Job & on the left write down all the reasons it's not so appealing. Then go back to each point & mark next to each item a number from 1-10. 1 is least important and 10 is most important. then you tally up your numbers to see what will bring more to your life in terms of what is most important. then that's your decision.. I use this & it does help break down the benefits vs obstacles.

If this job is going to bring you happiness but require a bit more juggling outside of work then maybe that's your compromise. If you really aren't sure about your child being in care an extra day then maybe it's not the right time to change. You will find the answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbehaving View Post
    What industry are you in? The job I have now is a generic project management role, it's my first role outside of broadcast industry where i had worked before. So im lucky i got a part time PM role. I think project management is promising but it's sooo boring. Whereis I know everything in the broadcast and it's a very fun job...Cos broadcast is so small in Australia it's a lot harder to come by anything decent let alone part time
    I'm in finance but look after a team so wouldn't be able to go part time. I started back at work 3 weeks before xmas and did a job share type arrangement with my fill in so I could ease back into it. Tomorrow is my first day of full time work and I'm a bit nervous as to how I will cope. Only time will tell though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I would choose the interesting job! Plenty of mums work full time and I think you'd be so lucky to be in a job and career that fulfills you. As you say, broadcast jobs are hard to come by, so id take the job then if its a real stress after a few months you could find a more flexible part time job again right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can your husband go to part time?