+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby wearing with back problems

I don't know where to start with slings and carriers- I have lumbar spine/sacro-iliac (hip) pain and considered not wearing bub, but I would like to try before discounting the possibility.

Can anyone recommend good slings or carriers that distribute weight well on the wearer and are safe and comfy for newborn-6 months at least?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know anything about your condition specifically but I have a lot of shoulder/upper back pain and have found wearing painful unless it's the right carrier or wrap. I use a Tula Baby Carrier - downright the most comfy/well distributed weight wise (after having tried a lot!) I can wear for hours without any issue at all even with a child now just under 2.

I also find wrapping extremely comfortable and is my favourite way to carry - in the right wrap (I can only use something supportive with linen) and do a multilayer front carry or back carry where it's spread across my shoulders so the weights distributed. But if you have lower/hip pain I'd say as long as the weights distributed well on your body and you have a supportive blend wrap you will have no problem at all.

Get along to a babywearing meet and try a few if you can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am using a Manduca and love it! Distributes weight well. You can try them on in the baby stores to check if it works for you

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd try a soft structured carrier- ergo, manduca the tula baby one mentioned above looks good too

Wraps are great too but they can be very temperamental and $ try a carrier and see how you go imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I have back pain but find my manduca carrier doesn't hurt. It does distribute the weight of bub evenly and you can wear them from newborn onwards. Once they are bigger and can hold their heads up well you can also wear them on your back

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a bit of lower back pain and used a Beco Gemini - pretty similar to an ergo but the straps cross at the back (when in a front carry position) giving more support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a bad back and we got a baby bjorn and I managed it ok a few times when bubs was little. We had an ergo too which was better later on but really only dh could use it as my back was too bad. Baby carrying with a bad back sucks especially if you have big bubs like I do (4kg and 4.4kg at birth). I think if I'd had 2kg newborns baby wearing would have been easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies- the manduca and Tula sound promising but I can't find any sec nod hand on eBay or gumtree :/ I can't fork out $150+ If I'm noted sure it's going to work out. Will try to find a local baby wearing group in case I can borrow one from someone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Be careful on gumtree and eBay, there are many fake Ergo's, Manduca's etc out there and they're dangerous! Have a look on the Baby Wearing Buy Swap Sell Facebook page if you're after a secondhand carrier hope you can try one soon!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

chickenandegg  (27-12-2013),Pixie83  (28-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get SI joint dysfunction from time to time. I'm using the manduca and as yet (bub is only 8wks) I've found it to be great. The weight distribution on the hips is fantastic.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

chickenandegg  (27-12-2013)