+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Momkey View Post
    Sounds exactly how I felt with my first bub! I was having panic attacks during the day as well! Tried anti depressants after my gp suggested post natal anxiety - which is very common and can lead to depression! Didn't like the tablets so tried other things! Joined the gym as out DD in the creche! Made me feel much better! Are you exercising?? It can work wonders!!
    I never hears of post natal anxiety? Tbh I have a history that would make anxiety probable and could have had it for yrs. I'm sure my councillor won't be surprised to see me and the writing was on the wall thy it would be triggered/worsen with kids.

I have started walking every day and am looking at my diet as well

When ds6wks cried for food in public I swear I had what was a panic attack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had a diagnosed anxiety disorder for years and my symptoms have definitely been worse in the months PP both times around as well as more. being health/child focused.

I also notice it gets worse at the end if my normal menstrual cycle so for me at least my hormones play a part in how symptomatic I am. I've never been medicated though, I use CBT and self care techniques which work well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't read all the replies but it felt like you were describing me 4 yrs ago. Food allergies triggered my anxiety and depression as well after the birth of ds. I was on a strict elimination diet and was desperately trying to cope with a sick baby.

My PND definitely started with anxiety which I have been told is often the first symptom. I was absolutely stricken with severe anxiety over sickness, germs, temperature, double guessing myself and beating myself up over everything and filled with shame and embarrassed at how I was. I literally couldn't sleep at night because I worried so much.

I fell pregnant again while I was still coping with a sick baby and when dd was born I fell into full blown depression.

my advice would be get on top of the anxiety quickly before it develops further because it's much harder to claw your way back from full blown PND ... CBT is great for anxiety, learning skills to rationally deal with distorted thinking. Ie: do you catatrophise? Personalize? Over generalise? See things in black and white? That kind of stuff. I found it really helpful to read all about distorted thinking types and started recognising them in myself which helped me to deal with the anxiety.

Dunno if that helps any.... pm me if you ever need an eat to chew.. Xx
    Last edited by RipperRita; 26-12-2013 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had many of the symptoms you mentioned after the birth of DS (my 2nd child) 8 months ago. I had lots of anxiety about getting everything done, hated to think anyone might think I'm not coping (family/friends or even strangers). Instead of enjoying moments with my kids I was uptight about not getting everything done. I wanted a clean house, home cooked meals every night, quality play time with both kids, time for husband, social life, list went on. Always something to do - cranky when I wasn't getting things done.
    Recently I found my old anxiety meds and started taking them. The calm i felt helped heaps to either just get on with getting things done and not be uptight about it or to let some stuff go and just enjoy time with kids/husband. I didn't want to admit that I had post-natal anxiety (fudged the tests after DS was born) but 8 months on it was actually getting worse instead of better so I wish now I had just admitted it and got help earlier. I was thinking I would be put on anti-depressants but I knew I wasn't depressed - just anxious - and I didn't want that. I didn't know there was a difference between PND and post natal anxiety but there is! So well done for admitting and seeking out help. Be open and honest and you should get the help you need

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to say I have been there too, wish I was closer so I could give you a hand. You've gotten some great advise from PL so just wanted to echo it but not repeat it unnecessarily.

Also wanted to add the PANDA helpline is fab I have in the past called them a few times just to have a cry.

Good news is things do get better with help, feel free to call me anytime if you want, I'll PM you my number on FB xoxo

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I just wanted to say I have been there too, wish I was closer so I could give you a hand. You've gotten some great advise from PL so just wanted to echo it but not repeat it unnecessarily.

Also wanted to add the PANDA helpline is fab I have in the past called them a few times just to have a cry.

Good news is things do get better with help, feel free to call me anytime if you want, I'll PM you my number on FB xoxo
    Thanks lovey

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (27-12-2013)