+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked
    752
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Somehow I dont think rationalising with the owners is going to stop the dog biting you when it is already going nuts or lunging at you....I'm hardly saying I would go around kicking random dogs in the head.
    Of course it is the owners fault!

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (27-12-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (27-12-2013),headoverfeet  (27-12-2013),LoveLivesHere  (27-12-2013),peanutmonkey  (27-12-2013),~Marigold~  (27-12-2013)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,165
    Thanks
    2,773
    Thanked
    2,282
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    If a dog was biting/attacking me or my child of course I'd kick it. Doesn't sound nice and of course I would never harm an animal unless it was to defend a person/myself. And what you have written in your post is exaclty why I dont trust and detest unmuzzled dogs in public.


    Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My dog is a gentle soul, but I walk him with a halti. It's like a harness that sits across the nose and under the chin. I use it so I can control him if he decides to bolt on me because he can get excited. I have had random strangers comment that it is cruel to muzzle a dog ( even though it isn't a muzzle) so you seem to be damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    OP I am really sorry you got bitten and hope it heals quickly. I would also report it. Was the dog on a lead? If so, and the owners knew if was skittish they should have steered the dogs well away from you. People with dogs not on leads drives me crazy. I agree that no dog is 100% predictable, especially outside its own home where you can't control your surroundings.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (27-12-2013),~Marigold~  (27-12-2013)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    An owner does have a big responsibility to train their dog properly, who knows how well these owners did that really? But if a dog ever bites anyone, ever, they should be put down - no questions asked. It is a very sad thing, but some people should not be allowed to have dogs. But it isn't always just the owners fault either - some dogs are just aggressive, just like some humans are nasty.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    Why is it that the dog is always the one to get punished?! Kicking the dog in the head? Seriously? That's pathetic.
    Why not blame the owners who allowed their dog to get too close to some one else, they're responsible for the dog, you can't blame the dog for feeling threatened and lashing out, have you ever thought what it would look like from the dogs point of view? Out having an adventure, so many smells and things to look at, and is then surrounded by a bunch of strangers? (no I'm not suggesting op did anything wrong or got too close, it was the owners that were at fault) what would you do if you were suddenly surrounded by a bunch of people and had no way of escaping???

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    ~Marigold~  (27-12-2013)

  7. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    1,425
    Thanked
    862
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    An owner does have a big responsibility to train their dog properly, who knows how well these owners did that really? But if a dog ever bites anyone, ever, they should be put down - no questions asked. It is a very sad thing, but some people should not be allowed to have dogs. But it isn't always just the owners fault either - some dogs are just aggressive, just like some humans are nasty.
    I totally disagree that any dog who bites should be euthanized. My dog bit my sons face once, because he was being nasty and she felt threatened and obviously was defending herself. He has a little scar on his face, and has since learned his lesson that you need to be careful and gentle with living creatures. My dog has never snapped at anyone else, and never snapped at him since. There is no way my miniature dachshund deserves to die for biting someone who was hurting/threatening her. People need to take responsibility for their pets, ie. have them on leads and if they are vicious then they should be muzzled in public. Likewise, parents and people in general need to take responsibility around dogs, ie. not approaching a dog they don't know.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

    Lillynix  (27-12-2013),Mellie29  (27-12-2013),mishh  (27-12-2013),MissRose1  (27-12-2013),~Marigold~  (27-12-2013)

  9. #25
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    My dog is a gentle soul, but I walk him with a halti. It's like a harness that sits across the nose and under the chin. I use it so I can control him if he decides to bolt on me because he can get excited. I have had random strangers comment that it is cruel to muzzle a dog ( even though it isn't a muzzle) so you seem to be damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    OP I am really sorry you got bitten and hope it heals quickly. I would also report it. Was the dog on a lead? If so, and the owners knew if was skittish they should have steered the dogs well away from you. People with dogs not on leads drives me crazy. I agree that no dog is 100% predictable, especially outside its own home where you can't control your surroundings.
    Thanks.
    Yes it was on a lead, but we were walking on a footpath so it was crowded.
    One of the dogs I think was a black poodle, I think that was the one that got me.
    Hmmm.. I was bitten by a dog in the street when I was 3- a poodle!
    I definitly agree that the dog should have been muzzled- especially since the owners said it "hasn't snapped at anyone for a long time"... then went on to blame neighbourhood kids for tormenting her recently.

    "Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

  10. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You know your dog better than anyone, if you think that she bit out of fear/frustration or as a warning, then that is your judgement call to make. I can understand a warning snap - but an actual bite or maul, I can't understand that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    I totally disagree that any dog who bites should be euthanized. My dog bit my sons face once, because he was being nasty and she felt threatened and obviously was defending herself. He has a little scar on his face, and has since learned his lesson that you need to be careful and gentle with living creatures. My dog has never snapped at anyone else, and never snapped at him since. There is no way my miniature dachshund deserves to die for biting someone who was hurting/threatening her. People need to take responsibility for their pets, ie. have them on leads and if they are vicious then they should be muzzled in public. Likewise, parents and people in general need to take responsibility around dogs, ie. not approaching a dog they don't know.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    headoverfeet  (27-12-2013)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a massive difference between a dog mauling/biting severely unprovoked and IMO if that happened euthanising the dog is definitely an option. A dog snapping or biting out of frustration is not grounds to be put down.

    We have a pug and my DS used to pull his tail (all the while squealing "spring! Boing!") and of course the dog cracked it and nipped his fingers. Didn't draw blood and DS hasn't done it since.

    My DF's dog hasn't hurt anyone but he is muzzled because of the breed he is (Staffy x pitbull) so he takes all the precautions, crosses the street just incase etc.

    Owners have the responsibility... Nature v nuture, it's the same for dogs.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oh also, OP I hope your leg is healing alright and I would report it to the council at least so you know you have done as much as possible incase the dog went on to attack someone else.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

    ~Marigold~  (27-12-2013)

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    69
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    An owner does have a big responsibility to train their dog properly, who knows how well these owners did that really? But if a dog ever bites anyone, ever, they should be put down - no questions asked. It is a very sad thing, but some people should not be allowed to have dogs. But it isn't always just the owners fault either - some dogs are just aggressive, just like some humans are nasty.

    I'm sorry but you don't have any facts to support this comment. I am heavily involved with animal management & it has been proven that it is not a breed issue. ANY animal has the potential to be a threat to any person including its owners. If you cannot acknowledge this point & respect the fact that you are responsible for the animals behaviour then you are an uneducated owner & shouldn't have a pet.

    My dogs are small, non-threatening breeds but under no circumstances are they left unattended with children - not even when I have my own. It's not the breed it's the training, situation & control of the animal which is part of being a responsible owner. I guess it's easier to blame the dog rather than the owner but that's so wrong. Imagine you are restricted on a lead with something you are terrified of walking towards you & you are held still watching it coming closer & closer.. If I felt threatened then I would defend myself! The owners job is to see these situations & act properly!!

    The owners should either walk their dogs in an open space where they are not passing people by or have a muzzle on their dog. It's lack of control and training, there is no excuse for not seeking help & getting proper training, they are just lazy.

    Definitely report them to the council because a vicious dog needs to be addressed & the owners need to be held accountable.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilCritter For This Useful Post:

    MsViking  (27-12-2013),ozeymumof5  (27-12-2013),waitsee  (27-12-2013)

  17. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Where on earth did I say it was a breed issue. Maybe you should read my post. which said that some dogs are just aggressive - nothing to do with breed - dogs, not breed.

    I also said sometimes owners are to blame. This issue is obviously so close to you that you are clouded - I haven't said any of the things that you say I have.

    Please do show me the studies that prove that is not a breed issue. Because for every one you show me that it isn't, I bet I can find one that shows it is. Not saying that I believe these things necessarily. But there are certainly studies out there that show that certain breeds of dogs attack more regularly than other breeds. I was reading one the other day.

    Quote Originally Posted by LilCritter View Post
    I'm sorry but you don't have any facts to support this comment. I am heavily involved with animal management & it has been proven that it is not a breed issue. ANY animal has the potential to be a threat to any person including its owners. If you cannot acknowledge this point & respect the fact that you are responsible for the animals behaviour then you are an uneducated owner & shouldn't have a pet.

    My dogs are small, non-threatening breeds but under no circumstances are they left unattended with children - not even when I have my own. It's not the breed it's the training, situation & control of the animal which is part of being a responsible owner. I guess it's easier to blame the dog rather than the owner but that's so wrong. Imagine you are restricted on a lead with something you are terrified of walking towards you & you are held still watching it coming closer & closer.. If I felt threatened then I would defend myself! The owners job is to see these situations & act properly!!

    The owners should either walk their dogs in an open space where they are not passing people by or have a muzzle on their dog. It's lack of control and training, there is no excuse for not seeking help & getting proper training, they are just lazy.

    Definitely report them to the council because a vicious dog needs to be addressed & the owners need to be held accountable.


 

Similar Threads

  1. bub bitten at child care
    By lonely2day in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 23:33
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 19:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Philips AVENT Australia
Pregnancy and early parenthood is an exciting and challenging time, but it’s good to know there is expert advice on hand to ensure that your baby gets the best start in life.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!