+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Daily headaches - looking for tips to manage them

Any tips to manage daily headaches? Had them regularly throughout entire pregnancy so far, but for the last couple of weeks ive had them daily. Im 13 weeks along.

Ive had to suffer through most xmas gatherings so far because my head was pounding & that made me sad.

Mostly the headaches also make me really nauseous so its hard to do anything but sit at home.

Paracetamol is a waste of time,doesnt even touch them - even if I take it when I first feel the headache coming on.

Im assuming its my neck playing up again & causing it but I dont know how to manage it.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been in that boat and figured it was the vitamins I was taking for pregnancy, as soon as I changed to elevit, they stopped. Normally, if I'm not pregnant, I'd take dolased, as I suffer from migraines, but being pregnant myself, I couldn't. I have been advised by a doctor that I can only take Panadol and Panadeine. I have also had a neck massage by a qualified therapist who was trained in pregnancy massage. You could also make an appointment with a doctor and discuss what they think is safe for you to take whilst pregnant. It could be your rising hormones which are causing the headaches, or it could be a number of things. I'd suggest speaking with your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Any tips to manage daily headaches? Had them regularly throughout entire pregnancy so far, but for the last couple of weeks ive had them daily. Im 13 weeks along.

Ive had to suffer through most xmas gatherings so far because my head was pounding & that made me sad.

Mostly the headaches also make me really nauseous so its hard to do anything but sit at home.

Paracetamol is a waste of time,doesnt even touch them - even if I take it when I first feel the headache coming on.

Im assuming its my neck playing up again & causing it but I dont know how to manage it.

Hi heartstringz. I suffered terrible headaches through my pregnancy that would leave me in bed for days. Pain relief did nothing. I had them at 11 weeks, 13 weeks and 17 weeks until I finally saw a chiro which helped a lot. I didn't suffer anymore for the rest of my pregnancy. My neck was out causing the horrid headaches.
    In the meantime bed rest and cold washers is what helped me until my appt. good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found once I got into 2nd tri the headaches started. I hadn't had caffeine for the first 3 months because it turned my stomach, but once I started having a small coffee a day the relief was absolute heaven!

I'm the same as you, paracetamol just doesn't do anything but make me frustrated I'm still in pain. The combo of a little caffeine, staying well hydrated and pregnancy massage is working well for me now though

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive been suffering daily headaches aswell, Ive just been told to make sure I keep well hydrated and lots of rest...yeah right with a 2 year old and 5 month old! On the really bad days I take panadiene extra which the pharmacist said was fine to take but obviously a personal choice. The massages sound like a lovely idea so they might be worth a shot

Thanks
    Reviews
    im not pregnant but I can get daily headaches if my neck is out of alignment. when this happens I go to the chiro and he cracks my neck back into place and no more headaches... I know this helps me so it may help in pregnancy as well? not sure but just a friendly suggestion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

I dont go to chiro, but ill try massage again. Hasnt worked for longer than a day or so in the past but I might get lucky this time.

Before I was pregnant I had constant issues with my neck & basically spent half the time dosed up on nurofen. Therefore managing this without strong pain relief is all new to me. So I appreciate all ideas!

I have an appointment booked with my midwife in a couple of weeks so if I cant get to the gp before that ill see what she says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely sounds like a tension migraine..
    I have been suffering migraines through my whole pregnancy and I have had doctors prescribe both panadeine (codeine and paracetamol) and tramadol, both safe in advised doses.. I wouldn't recommend it however as they are strong painkillers and can make you feel worse.. But if you need it and they work, there's no risk to baby if you stick to the recommended dosage..
    Chiro, physio and massage are all good options for your neck.. I see a chiro regularly for neck and pelvis related issues..
    Good luck.. I hope you find something that works.. It's no fun being bed ridden with a pounding head =/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm 18 weeks tomorrow; and I've been getting headaches daily, or almost daily since 8 or 9 weeks. Panadol does nothing, and my GP won't give me anything stronger than that. I even tried some Panadeine Forte that I already had at home from a prescription I got before I started IVF and got pregnant once or twice in desperation, and even they did absolutely nothing for the pain. Resting with a cool wet facewasher on my head does nothing either; and caffeine while it may give me a small amount of relief initially, it doesn't last very long before the headache ramps up in intensity again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Catlover that's basically me. Nothing less than NSAID's seem to work for the pain but obviously I can't take them during pregnancy.

Physio & osteo does nothing, remedial & sports massage help for a day or two at most, accupuncture made it worse last time & I don't go to chiro cause I have a problem with people cracking my neck. So I have no idea what options I have left but I know I can't do this every day for the rest of my pregnancy.