+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No Pooping, Heaps of Gas & Wind, No Sleep, Arggggg

Our baby has just turned 1 month yesterday, for the last 2 weeks he has been having problems pooping, he grunts and grunts and lifts legs and gets very upset but nothing comes out, he done it while i was changing him the other day and i noticed he was clenching his bum cheeks while doing it. We have been having to use suppositories the last 3 days now to be able to help him go, it is like once that is used he has no choice but for it to come out. And now the last 2 nights he just wont sleep, just cries and cries, we can see he is soooooo tired but he just wont sleep, and gets more upset when he is lifting legs and grunting, he doesn't pass nowhere near as much gas as he used to and his tummy gets so hard.

My DH and i are now at our wits end, we know its not constipation because when the suppository is used he fills the nappy with a very wet consistency poop, yesterday we gave him one in morning and one in arvo the one in the afternoon was quiet a sticky poop. Due to lack of milk he gets one Breast Milk bottle during the day that i express for him and the rest is formula, the doctor has already had us change his formula a number of times but just seems to make things worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Suppositories will clean out the lower end of the bowel but not further up especially if he was quite blocked up. I would check with your dr but bub might need some lactulose to clean out the intestine and bowel. .. if it was me I would stop the suppository, and try a dose of lactulose or coloxyl. But I would call your dr and get their advice.
    My dd has suffered chronic constipation since she was little and her Dr's have always said suppositories are the last point of call. ...
    I hope it improves.
    There's nothing worse.
    Some other ideas are extra water in bubs bottles. ..or some Brown sugar dissolved in water. If bub seems in a lot of discomfort one thing I would do is heat a towel in this dryer and wrap it around her belly or use a heat wheat. Used to help to soothe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Changing formula too frequently could be the problem. It can take 10 days for a baby to decide if each formula is the right one. I'd try to stick to one for at least a week.

Hopefully someone else has a bit more advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    May be some baby massage after a warm bath on his tummy in a clockwise direction.

Also may be review the formal amounts. Formula sits quite heavily in the tummy and if he is having more than he needs it may take longer to move through?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you should check with dr first but this is what I would do -

1. Give a bottle of tepid boiled water to get things softened up.
    2. Give some lactoluse (I wouldn't use coloxyl) to get things moving. This will naturally cause some gas and bloating/pain but it is how it works. (Increases microorganism growth thus water content of already hardened stools). He should feel better in 24 hours.
    3. Once a significant amount has been passed, use infacol regularly to reduce gas pain (salmeterol).
    4. Consider changing formulas to Bellamys organic - it worked best for us and a number of people recommended it to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second brown sugar & water. Lots of mums I know have used it & it works.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

bambico81  (04-06-2014),Lauzy  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried Infant's Friend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    we just had the same issue a few days/nights ago with our ds - 1oz / 30ml of cooled boiled water once or twice a day I give it just before he has a bottle and gently massage the tummy in a clockwise direction ( anti clockwise if rubbing the back) just not directly after food obviously - this worked quite well and quickly for us - were also using infacol a couple of times a day for wind just to help him out a little ehich has helped get out some stale wind too (stinky let me tell ya) . ds is 5wks old.
    good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been having the same problems here! Coloxyl drops are for constipation, it sounds like you've already eliminated that as a problem... I think it's more likely bad wind, which is what my son has too. His belly is hard as a rock and he is sooo unsettled. We have been using infants friend and we have also been using gripe water. Both have worked but not as well as I would have liked. I've just started with infacol wind drops and it is working like a charm.
    Also when you feed him, burp him every 20ml. (Or every 3 mins if on the breast)
    And try lying him on his back and doing bicycle legs. All this is starting to help my little man but don't stress, he will grow out of it. Lots of babies get it in the early weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also water is not recommended for babies under 4 months. Milk only.