+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Music to my ears...

My DS stayed overnight with my parents last night. This normally only happens if we have a wedding or something. Mum said she felt we needed a break. I'm getting over glandular fever and we really are being pushed to our limits with DS. We so needed a break.

Anyway when I spoke to mum this morning she told me that DS is a very high energy and rather demanding little man. I can't tell you how reassuring it was for us to hear this. We constantly go between, are we not coping because we're not coping or is this kid full on. Daycare has also mentioned that he is high energy and throws huge tantrums - I'd say they're flippin cosmic! They've also told us he is probably the most full on child there.

Is there anyone else out there who has a 2 yo kid with an epic temper? Throws obscene tantrums? He hits, screams etc every. Single. Time. He doesn't get his own way. He rarely sleeps through and my parents couldn't get him to bed until 11pm last night, he woke twice and was up at 6.30am.

If so how are you putting boundaries in place? What techniques do you use? How do you tame the beast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think his behaviour issues stem from not enough sleep.
    My son went through an awful, awful patch for about 8/9 months. His behaviour was out of control because he was tired all the time. He was 26 months when he refused to have a nap in the day, he would fight sleep, wake up at 5am. It was a nightmare. I was just reminiscing earlier today about how much better he is. This time last year, he was just awful.

How much sleep does he usually get?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Normally, all going according to plan, he's down at 7pm and will wake maybe 1-2 times (2-3 times a week) and is up 6.30-7am, his day naps on the weekend are normally awesome 2-3 hours but yesterday he only slept 1 hour. He did sleep for 3 hours today at daycare. Tonight he went down at 7.30 but not without a fight, just checked on him and he's sound asleep.

He's really all over the shop this last couple of weeks. We want out for the santa photo yesterday which was fine but everything else was awful, leaving, walking, being carried - we ran out with him screaming like a banshee and thought we'll let home run it off at the playground, nightmare. It's at the stage where we don't want to go out with him and DH lamented yesterday that he doesn't see other kids acting like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the overtiredness. My kids are feral with limited sleep.

Have you tried melatonin?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2.5 yo is super high energy it's insane!
    His tantrums are full on but I have nothing to compare it too so I'm not sure if they're worse than any other, he is aggressive though and bites, scratches and hits.
    This is my arm after he bit me! ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1387790305.485601.jpg

He truly doesn't stop moving. EVER! He even moves in his sleep.
    I agree it's so nice when others acknowledge that he is hard work, makes me feel like I am not crazy!

He does sleep 12 hours through the night though, that must be so hard on top of everything else.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forgot to say we use a lot of bribery like stickers or distractions, if he is in the throws of a tantrum I might say "DS, did you see that dinosaur??!" And then he will be so distracted looking for a dinosaur he will forget his tantrum.
    Sounds stupid but it works!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I agree with the overtiredness. My kids are feral with limited sleep.

Have you tried melatonin?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Ive only tried it myself. I didn't realise kids could use it. Tell me more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinSparkles View Post
    Forgot to say we use a lot of bribery like stickers or distractions, if he is in the throws of a tantrum I might say "DS, did you see that dinosaur??!" And then he will be so distracted looking for a dinosaur he will forget his tantrum.
    Sounds stupid but it works!
    They sound very similar! DS also never stops moving. I distract with birds and trucks but when he's in a full blown tangy nothing works. The kid has stamina.

hope your arms ok! What did you do when he did this?