+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD did this! It was hell! Itd would go for easily hour and a half and once for 4 hours nothing and I mean nothing could be done. She's been diagnosed with nodules on her vocal cords and I'm 100% sure it was these tantrums that did the most damage. She would always have a hoarse voice by the end of it. No advice sorry. She only stopped once her day naps stopped.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is the same. He is almost 5 now, so doesn't nap so much now, but if he falls asleep in the car he will still wake up screaming. He started doing it just before 3, so I just started phasing the nap out. He was worse at kindly though. I warned his teachers not to let him sleep, because of it, but I would often turn up and he would still be asleep. I would be the one to wake him up and he would still cry uncontrollably. It would take him a while to calm down and nothing I said or did would help. I think it was generally because he was a little disorientated when he awoke. I don't think there is anything wrong, but just the child not being able to communicate how they feel - whether it be still tired, disorientated, separation anxiety or pain..... But something is making them unhappy and I think they just need to learn how to handle their feelings which comes with time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS did the same thing, he would be hysterical after waking from his nap - it lasted for about an hour everyday day. If you have read the book "Babylove" she has a small chapter in the sleep section titled "The mammoth tantrum upon waking" she basically explains that it's normal, it's common and there is nothing you can do but console your child and wait for it to end

Good luck I hope this phase passes quickly for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went through this stage - I forget at what age though. Maybe around 2? She all of a sudden just grew out of it. Actually maybe she stopped when she just dropped her day nap altogether.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 year old does this every now and again usually lasts for a week or 2 at a time and started when he was around 18months.
    I find if I just sit down with him on the couch until he wakes up properly he is much calmer. I often wonder if its because he gets woken up by something but isn't ready to wake up so has that whole feel like u have been hit by a bus feeling. Usually takes him 20-30mins of resting on me to come around.
    Might also be if he is teething ur growth spurt could be anything really. The heat could be doing it too he might be waking up hot and dehydrated but because he isn't ready to be awake it's all too overwhelming. Thinking back now the start of summer and the trial and error of what to put him in he woke up a like this a lot. Once I got him cool enough it settled down.
    It's most certainly not u. Day care they sleep really lightly (and likely in aircon) so he probably never goes into that full deep sleep that's horrible to wake up from some times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My DD 21 months does this and has been for months now! Sometimes she's ok, but mainly is screaming.

I actually came here to start a thread about it!

She only sleeps 40 minutes to an hour mostly but sometimes does an hr and a half but maybe once every 3 weeks.

I wonder if it's me putting her down at the wrong time' day (instead of night) terrors or separation anxiety.

She sleeps 11.5 to 12 hrs straight at night, so I just don't understand the difference with naps..

Sorry so no advice, just letting you know it is normal.

Me 31, He 34, DD 21 months, waiting for just 1 more to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son WAS terrible for this, really terrible. He only woke up like that at home, he didn't do it at daycare. He still wakes up grumpy, but I leave him to wake up not so moody, otherwise he says "Noooooo, leave me alone!".

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is just over 2 and still does this every single day. I dread the wake up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for all the replies... I thought I'd give a quick update..

Being Christmas I have had much of a chance to try anything new, however today he had a two hour nap (normally only 40 mins) and he woke up ok! He was a little bit sooky but no where near hysterics! He has had a few really late nights so much have been really tired!
    It was such a nice afternoon not having his melt down! Fingers crossed it continues!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats good dewdanni. You deserve a break over xmas and it isnt nice to listen to meltdowns every arvo.