+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I plan on breastfeeding but do I need a pump as well?
    Are there times when bub falls asleep and one or both have not completly emptied? Pain?
    Sorry about the silly question
    I wouldn't buy one at this stage. I'd join the ABA is I were you (it's not expensive), then if you need a breast pump you can hire hospital grade ones through the ABA for discounted rates.

They aren't cheap and you might not need it. Unless you want to express to have someone else feed your LO.

I don't get any pain if bub does drain a breast.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 22-12-2013 at 20:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've hardly used mine this time. I agree that you should wait and see if you need one. And you can always hand express if your breasts become engorged anyway!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had one with dd2 because I wanted to be able to leave her occasionally but they only happened once as she refused all bottles & cups so it was a waste

Bought one when pregnant with dd3 tried to use it a few times at the start as I had major engorgement and some lumps and I could literally only get a few drops out

So no you don't always need one, I do how however think spend the extra money and get an electric or hire an electric manual ones are cr@p !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kazza I wouldnt buy one at this stage. Wait and see how BF goes first. I have hired a hospital grade pump through ABA at 6 weeks to get a back up supply frozen.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you soooo much for all your responses
    I won't get one now. I will hire one if needed or 'hand express' as pp mentioned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (23-12-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Thank you soooo much for all your responses
    I won't get one now. I will hire one if needed or 'hand express' as pp mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe wait to see if you need one. I always said I wouldn't get one but when my bubs didn't attach well at first I used it to express milk to top her up as I didn't want to give formula. Since my daughter got good at feeding I never use it anymore.
    My friend was following a routine thing and pumped twice every but got mastitis 5 times so decided to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me yes! I used it alot, as when we went out i would bottle feed bm rather than feed from the breast as i was more comftable doing that and found it easier. Perhaps just see how u go, hire one and if u find u use it then u can buy one later

Thanks
    Reviews
    You won't necessarily need one but if you wanted one just incase I would just get a manual pump. I exclusively expressed for 5 weeks with an Avent Isis manual pump before receiving my double electric and I pumped just as much milk, it just took a bit longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been EBF for 16 weeks with lots of difficulty (feeds are still painful with latch issues, I've posted about this before) but even I don't pump because I find it so tedious and time consuming.
    I bought a Medela harmony manual pump, which is a fine manual pump, but already you feel like all you're doing is feeding, psychologically I felt like the last thing I wanted to do in the time my daughter napped was to pump!
    So no, you may not need it, and even if you do (LC suggested I pump to give my nipples a break), you still may not want to do it!