+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do I need to buy a breast pump?

I plan on breastfeeding but do I need a pump as well?
    Are there times when bub falls asleep and one or both have not completly emptied? Pain?
    Sorry about the silly question

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not silly at all. You can hire them from the local pharmacy which might be good to start with. I found it really helpful at the start with damaged nipples and keeping up supply. It's up to you though. The option if hiring can help you decide if you need to spend the money. I bought one in the end but didn't use it a lot. It's good for peace of mind if nothing else. I got a Mandela swing from ebay then replaced some attachments. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way, the manual pumps are hard work. Go the electrical/battery operated ones. Saves a lot of time and energy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You definitely don't 'need' one, women have breastfed for a long time before the whizz bang pumps we have now were around. The more you pump, the more milk you will produce so pumping to ease the full sensation of engorgement in the early days isn't a great idea.
    Having said that, pumping is great if you want to have an early night and leave DH up to do a feed which is what I did in the early days when DS was feeding 2hrly round the clock.

You can hire hospital grade pumps from many pharmacies. I hired a medela symphony for about $40 a week.

Good luck x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will only know if you need one once you start feeding. I have never had one or the need for one and I fed both my kids for over a year each.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had one either and I've fed 3 kids for over a year. Sometimes hospitals have some you can try. Or friends with pumps. I found I had a lot of excess milk in the early weeks ie I would be leaking from one breast while feeding from the other. So I would collect and store it without needing a pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am considering it for first bub as will be having surgery when bub is very small and it will be easier to express before surgery for dh or mum to feed bub while im knocked out or in too much pain after and on drugs not suitable for bf. Plan on ebf till bub says nomore. I was ebf till i was 26 months and if our bub wants that i will have to go back to work long before that so will express so she doesn't miss out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used mine heaps for expressing if I needed to go out so DH could give them bottles! DD1 was great but DD2 refused to take a bottle for ages! It gives you a bit of freedom during the breastfeeding months! They are expensive tho (especially the electric ones which I would definitely recommend) so I would wait until you've estAblished BF before you invest in one!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (29-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You don't need one. If bfing is happening really well. .. and there's no other reason to buy one I wouldn't. Pumping is a pain! I would definitely wait til bub is here. . establish feeding then decide if you want to have some ebm. You can hire electric ones pretty easily from chemists or hire for baby places.
    Seriously. ..I wouldn't bother until you know.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    You don't need one. If bfing is happening really well. .. and there's no other reason to buy one I wouldn't. Pumping is a pain! I would definitely wait til bub is here. . establish feeding then decide if you want to have some ebm. You can hire electric ones pretty easily from chemists or hire for baby places.
    Seriously. ..I wouldn't bother until you know.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This. I was all keen to be prepared prior to bubs birth and bought a great looking electronic pump. For a number of reasons i ended up feeding for 6 days before moving onto formula and the pump sits unused in a cupboard.

Having said this i hope breastfeeding is easy and enjoyable for you!! :-)