+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default One month old had bad congestion at night

My one month old is very badly congested at night. At about 1-2 weeks old she got a cold and has been sneezing out green snot. Now that's stopped but she can hardly breath at night only. I've tried fess little noses, raising mattress and a vaporiser. Nothing seems to work. It starts around 1.30am and the congestion is so bad it keeps waking her up and she sounds very distressed. It goes immediately if I pick her up and hold her upright, but I can't do that all night long. Even if I cradle her in my arms (nearly flat) it goes, but as soon as I lie her down she can't breathe properly. This is the same place she sleeps during the day with no problems. Pedi is on holidays, the GP just says oh she looks perfectly healthy. Anyone experience this or know what's happening?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My last bub was like this and it was scary. I would have to go into the bathroom in the middle if the night and run the hot shower and just sit on the bathroom floor so the steam would help. I kept the bedroom vaporized and I put bub in the pram to sleep with the back up and on her side, right next to me so I could hear her. When she was awake I'd put her on her tummy with her head lower than her feet over my lap and do light physio on her back to try and get the yuck out of her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    raise the mattress shes sleeping on.. if youre finding she is better upright then I would raise the mattress.. you can put some bricks or a ph book under it.. also what about a saline nasal wash to help get rid of the junk? ask the chemist... good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was experiencing the same with my eight week old just last week. I made sure the fan was off and he slept in his bouncer (I was on the couch next to him). It lasted about a week or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried one of those snot sucker things? A Nosfrida?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    My last bub was like this and it was scary. I would have to go into the bathroom in the middle if the night and run the hot shower and just sit on the bathroom floor so the steam would help. I kept the bedroom vaporized and I put bub in the pram to sleep with the back up and on her side, right next to me so I could hear her. When she was awake I'd put her on her tummy with her head lower than her feet over my lap and do light physio on her back to try and get the yuck out of her.
    Exactly what we did. Hot shower and my dh would walk in and out