+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting solids - what to buy

Our little boy will probably be starting solids in the new year.

Can anyone suggest what spoons I should look out for for first foods? There are so many out there to choose from, so I'm interested to see if experienced baby feeders find one style/type/brand better than others

Also, I've got a stove top steamer, a hand blender (but it doesn't have the grinder attachment), a masher, a fork, a sieve and some trays/containers for freezing. Is this enough to get me through the short time that the little guy will be on mashes and purees? Are the hand blenders OK for pureeing meat (miced/diced finely)? Our kitchen is small so I'm hoping not to accumulate too much unnecessary stuff to clutter the cupboads, but happy to get things that will make the food transition easier (and hopefully fun) for all of us

I've got lots of cloth bibs. At what stage should I be looking at plastic bibs with the food catcher? Are the smock/coverall bibs (that cover arms) good?

Anything else I should look for before starting?

Thanks for sharing your experience/wisdom. I couldn't find any other posts using the search function, but if this has been done to death, I apologise and feel free just to link to old posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if its been done alot before...

We used the heinz spoons for 4mnths plus. You want something soft and flexible, and also not too big.

I used a "magic bullet" knock off product for purees, but we already had it (this is all the baby bullet is under another name and slightly altered design)

We never used food catching bibs or smocks, but they would have probably saved mess. I just cleaned it up.
    smocks would probably be more handy for when they start finger food.
    have you heard of baby led weaning(blw)? I'm not 100% sure on the exact ins and outs but its where you give bub finger foods instead of purees maybe something to read up on and decide if its for you like bfing/ffing.

They will get messy, but just relax with it I chose to give my ds veggies only for a while so he didn't choose sweet fruits as a preference.

Proudly brought to you by me and my autocorrect fail device.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you do decide to BLW then all you need are bibs and a steamer
    The catch bibs are brilliant and for really messy food like pasta or yogurts the plastic ones with sleeves are a must ! Apart from those I bought tommee tippee spoons that had a round handle for self feeding as they were easy to hold onto plus it gets them used to holding cutlery , same with sippy cups, my DS started on the no spill straw ones filled with water that I gave him whenever he had food
    There is no need to purée with BLW so I just steamed, roasted or cooked as I would with our food and I just bought a heap of kids plastic bowls and plates from ikea

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-12-2013),callmedragon22  (21-12-2013),clbj  (22-12-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, look into BLW. So much easier just to prepare ONE meal, rather than one for baby and one for you.

As for "stuff" you need, think about what some mums used back in 1642 (random year picked from the past)... they used nothing apart from what they already had. Our bub sometimes used a plastic spoon he had been given, but mostly just a regular tea spoon from the cutlery drawer. Regarding bowls, he ate off the table, and now he uses a side plate.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-12-2013),clbj  (22-12-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't do BLW ( personally I don't believe it has any long term benefit, and can be very messy and wasteful) I didn't bother buying a blender either, I just mashed DS's food up with a potato masher! Silicon spoons are a good idea and the rubber tommy tippy catch bibs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For puree a hand mixer is fine.
    I got a pack of cheap plastic backed bibs from bigw for less than $10 for 10bibs awesome for feeding.

I use the take n toss plastic spoons, great size and in packs of 10/12 so theres plenty of them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to mention, if you live near an ikea, the kids cups, bowls, plates & cutlery are really good value and are sturdy and dishwasher proof too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

Yes - have the ikea supplies high chair, bowls and beakers. Love ikea!

I'm hoping to do a modified BLW where he gets some purée/mash (moving from smooth to chunky) with each meal so we can introduce flavours and check for allergies/intolerances, but also give him access to play with finger foods so he can explore textures and taste what he wants. My GP suggested this and it seems like a good compromise.

Thanks for the feedback about the hand blender. Hopefully it copes with the meat as I'm keen to introduce red meats quite early for the iron and zinc aspect if I burn it out, then it's a good excuse for shopping

Thanks also for spoon suggestion

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    So new research and guidelines currently in the process of being introduced to the public are that you can feed your baby anything and everything with the exception of raw egg, and honey, from 6 months onwards. (UNLESS you have known allergies in the family- and then watch baby very closely when introducing, but apparently allergies are not hereditary?)

Babies should also be getting enough iron from their milk source, but if you do BLW sucking on a piece of steak gives plenty of nutirents etc.

I favour it over mashing simply because I'm a minimalist kind of gal But also, it's great for hand-eye coordination, for babies to learn their own limits and stop when they feel they have had enough (as opposed to when the bowl is empty with being spoon fed), it's great for texture exploration and finally babies learn to chew and then swallow when BLW, as opposed to swallowing then learning to chew foods at a later date, which can be confusing.

Ultimately, whichever way you decide to feed your baby, it does sound as though you are fully prepared. And if you start, and then decide having something else would make it easier, then there is nothing stopping you going out and buying what it is that you need

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I didn't do BLW ( personally I don't believe it has any long term benefit, and can be very messy and wasteful) I didn't bother buying a blender either, I just mashed DS's food up with a potato masher! Silicon spoons are a good idea and the rubber tommy tippy catch bibs.
    While I didn't do blw to a T as I started on purees but moved onto finger food rather soon after as ds preferred to feed himself. He is almost 14 mths and is a good eater in variety and quantity.

Another bub from my mothersgroup did blw from the start and he also is a good eater. Two of the others that did purees and mash for alot longer (and still mostly now) have trouble getting theirs to eat hardly anything (quantity wise and variety).

While this is only a small cross section of children and I know every child is different, I do believe there is a benefit to doing blw in this respect.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-12-2013)