+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I'm not sure how one can 'deny the climate'??? How about you attack the data, not the person.

Dr Spencer's bio:
    Roy W. Spencer received his Ph.D. in meteorology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1981. Before becoming a Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2001, he was a Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where he and Dr. John Christy received NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal for their global temperature monitoring work with satellites. Dr. Spencer’s work with NASA continues as the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite. He has provided congressional testimony several times on the subject of global warming.

Dr. Spencer’s research has been entirely supported by U.S. government agencies: NASA, NOAA, and DOE. He has never been asked by any oil company to perform any kind of service. Not even Exxon-Mobil.

Is his data wrong beebs?
    Spencer's bio also includes him being a signatory to the Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming - which states that "Earth and its ecosystems – created by God's intelligent design and infinite power and sustained by His faithful providence – are robust, resilient, self-regulating, and self-correcting"
    Interesting, no?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    His data is cherry picked, according to other scientists. This is not surprising, it is what climate change deniers do, exactly what anti vaccination advocates do. It is what you have to do, when the science doesn't back up your claim. I'm not attacking you, I said it was hardly surprising.

I'm not sure how one can 'deny the climate'??? How about you attack the data, not the person.

Dr Spencer's bio:

Is his data wrong beebs?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    His data is cherry picked, according to other scientists. This is not surprising, it is what climate change deniers do, exactly what anti vaccination advocates do. It is what you have to do, when the science doesn't back up your claim. I'm not attacking you, I said it was hardly surprising.
    If his data is 'cherry-picked', can you please show me a global temperature dataset that shows a different story to his?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've been through this, why would I put anything up for you and waste my time. It's been posted and posted again and again and again, and you keep asking for it over again, because you ignore it.

Just focusing on surface temperature is cherry picking - oceans are warming, the atmosphere, ice sheets, Glaciers etc. As you well know. Because we have all posted links, articles and studies.

If his data is 'cherry-picked', can you please show me a global temperature dataset that shows a different story to his?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been through this, why would I put anything up for you and waste my time. It's been posted and posted again and again and again, and you keep asking for it over again, because you ignore it. Just focusing on surface temperature is cherry picking - oceans are warming, the atmosphere, ice sheets, Glaciers etc. As you well know. Because we have all posted links, articles and studies.
    Which oceans are warming? Some are warming, some are cooling. Argo doesn't show much change at all. The atmosphere has not been warming. The antarctic is increasing. The arctic is up and down. Which glacier are you worried about? If you look at everything, it is hardly cherry picking. If you make a claim like "nov was like the hottest ever", then that would be cherry picking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, Cherry picking is when you only take "evidence" from a minority of scientists whilst disregarding the overwhelming majority of scientists because for some reason you already "agree" with the minority.

Which oceans are warming? Some are warming, some are cooling. Argo doesn't show much change at all. The atmosphere has not been warming. The antarctic is increasing. The arctic is up and down. Which glacier are you worried about? If you look at everything, it is hardly cherry picking. If you make a claim like "nov was like the hottest ever", then that would be cherry picking.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-12-2013),HollyGolightly81  (24-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, Cherry picking is when you only take "evidence" from a minority of scientists whilst disregarding the overwhelming majority of scientists because for some reason you already "agree" with the minority.
    I do not disregard them at all.
    You do understand that science is not carried out by voting. A 'majority' means nothing in science. Observations mean more than predictions though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do not disregard them at all.
    You do understand that science is not carried out by voting. A 'majority' means nothing in science. Observations mean more than predictions though.
    So why do the majority if scientists agree that climate change is real and a consequence of human actions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    So why do the majority if scientists agree that climate change is real and a consequence of human actions?
    Well. That is a broad comment that most scientists could agree with. I can also agree with that.
    Climate change is real. It has always happened and always will.
    Humans contribute to climate change. I would say that all would agree with that statement. But humans are not the only contributing factor to climate change.

You obviously haven't read much scientific work from 'sceptical' scientists. Maybe you should venture outside of what the main****** media is telling you, and actually read what their views are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Isn't it a broad comment to claim that warming hasn't happened for 17 years because of a FEW reports/observations in conflict with a MAJORITY of reports/observations? Hmmmmm....

FYI: still in my ignore bliss.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-12-2013)