+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    An update on the pause.

The earliest month from which the least-squares linear-regression temperature trend to the present does not exceed zero is September 1996.

That is now 17 years and 6 months with no warming. Ben Santer's 2011 paper was not that long ago, but shows how wrong the models are.
    I probably should have waited for March's figures. It is now 17 years and 8 months.

Or for those graph loving types.

Thanks
    Reviews
    CO2 levels have increased substantially over the last 17 years and 8 months (since August 1996).

mlo_full_record.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why does your graph looks so different to the official graph provided by the REMSS website for their V3.3 TLT data (theirs shows a clear warming trend)? http://images.remss.com/papers/other...sion_Notes.pdf (Page 3).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
    Why does your graph looks so different to the official graph provided by the REMSS website for their V3.3 TLT data (theirs shows a clear warming trend)? http://images.remss.com/papers/other...sion_Notes.pdf (Page 3).
    You need to look at the length of time the graph covers. The one I linked to only plotted the last 17 years and 8 months - which is how long there has been zero warming. The graph on page 3 goes back to the late 70's. The data between the years 1996 and 2014 on both graphs will be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be interested to know how RSS fit their model (which doesn't seem to be in the document, pity.)... I doubt that a simple LS linear regression is the best approach -- given it's a time series (non-independence of points), and it's also got clear periodic effects...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to goshawk For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be interested to know how RSS fit their model (which doesn't seem to be in the document, pity.)... I doubt that a simple LS linear regression is the best approach -- given it's a time series (non-independence of points), and it's also got clear periodic effects...
    I'm not sure what you mean here by 'model'? Are you referring to the trend lines? What approach do you think is more appropriate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well -- I am referring to the statistical model (LS) you are applying to the data to determine the warming (or in your case, no) trend. I must admit, there are probably way more complicated ways of statistically modelling global warming in the current peer-reviewed literature, but with time-series you usually use an auto-regressive model. Just as a disclaimer, I know *some* stats for my work, but I am not a card-carrying statistician nor am I a climate scientist...

This lecture has alot of info on how to analyse time-series (in R though, you look like your using Excel..?), and even has that Moa series as an example.
    http://www.colorado.edu/geography/cl...ture15_TS2.pdf

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goshawk For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-04-2014),Clementine Grace  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must admit, there are probably way more complicated ways of statistically modelling global warming in the current peer-reviewed literature, but with time-series you usually use an auto-regressive model.
    I agree. But it is a simple way to show long term overall trends which is important when predicting (projecting) expected temperature increases in the future.

You may be interested in Nicola Scafetta's harmonic model. It is going much better than the IPCC's models. His paper is here:
    http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/im..._harmonics.pdf

A key graph:
    figure.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    But a linear model assumes that the error-terms are iid (independent and identically distributed) -- which it is clearly not the case in your data. You violate the model assumptions by fitting a basic LSLR.

I appreciate the link to the paper -- but it's not really from a peer-reviewed journal is it? (I had a quick look at what SPPI was...). I also read that the author declines to make his software available to the public which is always a good sign *cough*. Anyhow -- let's just say my argument is with your use of statistics... I don't really care enough to read up on either side of this argument...
    Last edited by goshawk; 09-04-2014 at 13:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyhow -- let's just say my argument is with your use of statistics... I don't really care enough to read up on either side of this argument...
    My use? Or that of climate scientists?