+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This sounds promising. This should make everyone happy and save us all from catastrophic global warming.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...avy-train.html

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I just wanted to respond to some of your posts Peg.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Being a scientist and being a Christian (ie. believer in God) are not mutually exclusive.

I know that common belief of non Christians on this site seems to be that being a scientist = logical/rational thinker, being a Christian = illogical/irrational thinker.

I put it to you that they are not mutually exclusive and whilst I am a Christian, I am also a scientist. I test hypotheses, I create theories.
    I would never assume to tell someone what they can and cannot believe, however, to actively follow a religion/deity and support science requires a level of cognitive dissonance. The reason I say this is that science is the search for truth, the processes that identify truth and the body of knowledge accumulated in doing so. Given there is no scientific evidence for a religion/deity and when the application of critical thinking is applied to religion/presence of a deity it does not withstand - hence the dichotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    You may not think it's a common belief here, but as a Christian, I can certainly tell you it's the way that people who aren't Christians come across as perceiving Christians.

I have read quite a bit on evolution and I am still hesitant about accepting it as a total idea due to the amount of missing links.
    Even if there are gaps in the knowledge of evolution, that doesn't mean those gaps should be filled with religious explanations. (I'm not sure if that's where you were going with that so forgive me if it's not.) Hundreds of years ago many more conditions, events etc were attributed to deity/ies/supernatural beings. As humans expanded their scientific knowledge of the world the scientific explanations have usually superseded the religious/supernatural explanations. As science continues to grow this will also continue to happen. I find this a fascinating topic that can be studied when reading about cargo cults.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    If anyone wants to watch the show Pegasus has mentioned, featuring Joanna Lumley - you can watch it here >>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LKZYbJ93bE

...I am currently packing, ready to move house - so played it whilst boxing up DVDs, it is an interesting watch.
    I've personally made notes - because that's what I like to do

It highlights a number of points actually that I can recall being mentioned by a few of us in previous threads relating to the topic.
    Otherwise its on ABC iview (compass).

Re: whether I'll discuss what I put up here, always. I have discussed these topics before and fossils which have found not to be what they were originally thought, however, I'm not sure whether this thread is the correct place, or whether we should start another

There was more to respond to, but I had no internet yesterday and have to review properly later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another thread would probably be best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's refreshing to hear someone in parliament talking with some common sense and some knowledge on the topic of climate change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WQDjX9uVYMo

Dr Dennis Jensen has the highest scientific qualifications in Australia's parliament (lower and upper house). And he raises some very good points and asks some very good questions regarding climate change. I hope they do audit the BOM and CSIRO and look into their data management. All who are concerned about the environment should want to ensure that the data that is collected is as accurate as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's it. The IPCC have finally managed to convince me that we need to do something about this global warming.
    Their WG2 AR5 report contains the following dire warnings:

For instance, (Shaw and Loomis, 2008) argue that climate change would increase boating, golfing and beach recreation at the expense of skiing.
    And:

There are positive effects too (Richardson and Loomis, 2005). (Scott and Jones, 2006; Scott and Jones, 2007) foresee an increase in golf in Canada due to climate change,
    Para 10.6.1.1 at the following link for those that are worried.

http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploa...p10_FGDall.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry about the golf. We might be in even more trouble according to the SMH:

The Earth is warming so rapidly that unless humans can arrest the trend, we risk becoming ''extinct'' as a species, a leading Australian health academic has warned.
    http://www.smh.com.au/environment/cl...#ixzz2xcjd8INx

I know it might look like there has been no warming for the last 17 years, but it really is very rapid! We're all going to die!

On a side note. If your heating bill is a little more expensive this year due to the carbon tax, these might be a cheaper source of heating.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I couldn't find a graph
    Attached Images

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (03-04-2014),HollyGolightly81  (03-04-2014),SpecialK  (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I couldn't find a graph
    A cartoon has much more factual info than a graph. Great argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I couldn't find a graph
    I do like a good graph!ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1396515221.642718.jpg

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-04-2014),Clementine Grace  (03-04-2014),DJ Nette  (03-04-2014)