+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The intelligent design bit, for starters. Are you a creationist, F?
    I believe in God. I don't think that he created the universe in 7 days, but I do believe that he is our creator. And his creations are definitely intelligent.

Are you suggesting that if a person believes that God is our creator that one cannot listen to their scientific facts regarding state of the global climate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh lord, terrifying that a scientist actually thinks that way. Makes no sense at all.

Didn't he leave NASA 13 years ago? And then (from wiki):
    Spencer is a signatory to An Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming,[24][25] which states that "Earth and its ecosystems – created by God's intelligent design and infinite power and sustained by His faithful providence – are robust, resilient, self-regulating, and self-correcting".[26] He believes that most climate change is natural in origin, the result of long-term changes in the Earth's albedo and that anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions have caused some warming, but that its warming influence is small compared to natural, internal, chaotic fluctuations in global average cloud cover.[27]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And there we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good statement to me. Which bit(s) don't you agree with?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (23-03-2014)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Being a scientist and being a Christian (ie. believer in God) are not mutually exclusive.

I know that common belief of non Christians on this site seems to be that being a scientist = logical/rational thinker, being a Christian = illogical/irrational thinker.

I put it to you that they are not mutually exclusive and whilst I am a Christian, I am also a scientist. I test hypotheses, I create theories.

Sure you may not agree with Spencer saying that changes are natural in origin. This view is also held by some that are not Christians, so I'm not sure why this thought is scary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Father  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe in God. I don't think that he created the universe in 7 days, but I do believe that he is our creator. And his creations are definitely intelligent.

Are you suggesting that if a person believes that God is our creator that one cannot listen to their scientific facts regarding state of the global climate?
    Don't try to twist my words. Belief in a god and rejection of evolution are two separate things. I know plenty of religious people that don't deny evolution. If you want to add evolution denialism to your resume, by all means, go ahead. But you should probably know that once you (general you) do that, people are MUCH less likely to take you seriously on matters of science.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Being a scientist and being a Christian (ie. believer in God) are not mutually exclusive.

I know that common belief of non Christians on this site seems to be that being a scientist = logical/rational thinker, being a Christian = illogical/irrational thinker.

I put it to you that they are not mutually exclusive and whilst I am a Christian, I am also a scientist. I test hypotheses, I create theories.

Sure you may not agree with Spencer saying that changes are natural in origin. This view is also held by some that are not Christians, so I'm not sure why this thought is scary.
    I don't think that's a "common belief" here at all you can certainly be a scientist of faith. However, Spencer's credibility is questionable in light of his creationism and denial of evolution. That's what is scary- someone who has scientific qualifications denying widely held scientific theories. It's like a GP telling you vaccines cause autism- they should know better.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that's a "common belief" here at all you can certainly be a scientist of faith. However, Spencer's credibility is questionable in light of his creationism and denial of evolution. That's what is scary- someone who has scientific qualifications denying widely held scientific theories. It's like a GP telling you vaccines cause autism- they should know better.
    You may not think it's a common belief here, but as a Christian, I can certainly tell you it's the way that people who aren't Christians come across as perceiving Christians.

I have read quite a bit on evolution and I am still hesitant about accepting it as a total idea due to the amount of missing links.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    You may not think it's a common belief here, but as a Christian, I can certainly tell you it's the way that people who aren't Christians come across as perceiving Christians.

I have read quite a bit on evolution and I am still hesitant about accepting it as a total idea due to the amount of missing links.
    I think that it's about perception. Non religious people don't really understand why religious beliefs cannot be questioned, challenged or disagreed with. "It's my belief!" Is often the only response- and as a no religious person that's hard to swallow. People can try again and again to explain they are just asking- seeking to understand or perhaps illustrating a point- but it is almost always met with offense and a claim of persecution (on here - in my experience). It seems to be the one subject where people are expected to accept without question what another believes.

Evolution is accepted by the scientific community to the point of being taught in schools around the world. I'm not claiming to know it all but I do know there is far more evidence to support evolution than creationism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that it's about perception. Non religious people don't really understand why religious beliefs cannot be questioned, challenged or disagreed with. "It's my belief!" Is often the only response- and as a no religious person that's hard to swallow. People can try again and again to explain they are just asking- seeking to understand or perhaps illustrating a point- but it is almost always met with offense and a claim of persecution (on here - in my experience). It seems to be the one subject where people are expected to accept without question what another believes.
    The global warming religion operates just like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The global warming religion operates just like that.
    You don't see the difference? Wow.