+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default How much does your 1 year old eat?

I posted earlier this week and got some great advice about introducing whole foods to my 1 year old. It's really helped a lot and in just under a week she's really loving feeding herself a variety of foods.

I'm just a bit worried because she seems to be eating much less than before when I was spoon feeding her purée. She still lets me spoon feed her a couple of tablespoons of oats for breakfast, as well as feeding herself a handful of soft fruit pieces and Cheerios. At lunch and dinner I'll do a small plate of different foods (meats, cheese, eggs, fruits, veggies, breads and pastas) cut into pieces. All up this would be about half a cup of food but she only eats about a third of that and the rest goes on the floor. She'll also let me spoon feed her a couple tablespoons of yoghurt occasionally. She's still having 3 bottles of formula a day, 150ml - 200ml at each feed, and water throughout the day.

I don't know if this is enough for her; how much does your 1 year old eat?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD (13 months) would have on an average day:
    - one and a quarter weetbix with some purée fruit
    - fruit for morning tea
    - avocado sandwich for lunch (about 3/4), some cheese
    - fruit for afternoon tea, baby rice cracker
    - dinner is 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pasta/rice, veggies, chicken
    - small tub yoghurt

She also has two breastfeeds a day. I feed her breakfast and she feeds herself everything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is a good eater most days but this is a guide to what he eats in a day:

2 wheatbix for breaky
    A sandwhich with ham n cheese for lunch
    Piece of fruit for arvo tea
    Spag bol with veggies mixed through - a full take n toss bowl - but about a third was dropped as he was self feeding and he didn't want anymore.

But then other days he will hardly eat anything. He has 3 breastfeeds during the day and 0-2 overnight.

Others in my mothersgroup would be lucky to get their kids to eat that much in a few days. Every child is different.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    She's probably not hungry because of the bottles, you could slowly cut them out and she will probably eat more. She also doesn't need formula now she's over one so you could start introducing cows or other milk and cutting out the formula if you wanted to.
    My DD is 12 months and doesn't have any formula or breast milk.

Yesterday she ate:

1.5 weatbix with milk, half a piece of toast with avocado for breakfast
    A small bowl of puffed corn and sultanas for morning tea
    About 1/4 of a spinach and feta quiche for lunch (very little for her but she was too busy to eat)
    A few pieces of mango and a large corn thin for afternoon tea
    Nearly a whole avocado, tofu and prawn sushi roll and a few teaspoons of yogurt for dinner
    I offer her cow's milk to drink when she has her bedtime stories, some nights she has around 100ml some nights nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be dropping a bottle at this stage as she might be filling up with milk? 600ml a day is a lot for a 1 year old so maybe drop the day one and start cutting back the others? She will then naturally eat more - if she is transitioning from purées to finger/solid food it does take a few weeks for her to get the hang of it but I'm sure you would know it if she was hungry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great minds FL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I am having the same issue with my 10.5 month old. She has started to refuse me feeding her but whilst she goes ok on finger foods she actually eats very little, she mostly plays with it and throws it on the floor. She probably only eats a third of what she used to when I used to feed her.
    Now the dog is getting so fat too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My one year old is a guts! On an average day, he will have...
    -breakfast- 1.5 weetbix with milk and a banana
    -morning tea- small selection of fresh and dried fruit, some rice crackers.our similar
    -lunch- normally leftovers from the night before or a sandwich
    -arvo tea same as morning tea
    -dinner- at least a cup of whatever we're having... If it's something he loves, like tuna bake, he will often eat more than me :-\

But most of the babies in my mother's group are not eating like him.

Oh, and I'm still bf once or twice a day.:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so glad you posted this question because I've been wondering about my dd who is 1 and has feeding issues related to her syndrome. But I would say she does pretty well considering other responses.
    Brekky..1 weetbix and maybe a tub of yogurt or toast
    Lunch... half sandwich, cup of puree or fritters plus some potato stix or cheese
    Dinner... cup of puree plus some steamed veg. . maybe 2 broccoli florets etc. Tub of yogurt.
    Snacks. .2 rice crackers. Or similar.

She has regular cows milk at wake up and some at night before bed. And maybe 1 during the day. But they are maybe 50-70mls so not much.
    The pediatrician just told me formula is unnecessary and having about 100mls of milk a day is sufficient intake over the day. She has a bit more because she needs calories. So unless you really need to I would cut down your bottles and start offering regular milk.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies! My DD is actually just shy of 1 year, I was planning on trying to cut down on formula after she officially turns 1. I've created a problem for myself though because she drinks formula to sleep at midday and bedtime, and she really looks forward to it and will cry for it, so I'm dreading weaning her off it!

She dropped her other bottles herself, just slowly started refusing them and I rearranged her formula feeding schedule, I was planning to drop these the same way but maybe I should actively try and get her off the formula. Any tips?